Thread: Serp4 Upgrade to 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Serp4 Upgrade to 8.04

Hi!

I upgraded my Serp4 to 8.04 today but am experiencing some problems. The X server required a dpkg-reconfigure xorg-server before it used the binary nvidia driver and sound is not working.

Is this upgrade supposed to be supported on the Serp4 yet?

Thanks
    Nathan Sprangers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Serp4 Upgrade to 8.04

Correction: it wasn't using the binary nvidia driver, it was using the open source driver apparently (so I can get full resolution but no GLX). I ran nvidia-xconfig which created an xorg.conf that looked good to me but would not work.
    Nathan Sprangers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have a serp3 and upgraded - and when I put in the latest ubuntu restricted drivers I lost wireless and sound. The graphics is a bit buggy as well ...
    “Control over the use of one's ideas really constitutes control over other people's lives; and it is usually used to make their lives more difficult.”
    -Richard M. Stallman

Beans

I received my new Serval Performance today (not sure what its version is, but obviously is the latest one).

I did a clean install with 8.04 and installed the system 76 drivers (but it told me I didn't need any because ubuntu had all of them already).

The sound does work, but is quieter than it was in 7.10. After recovering from suspend, I have no sound until I reboot. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by globose View Post
    I received my new Serval Performance today (not sure what its version is, but obviously is the latest one).

I did a clean install with 8.04 and installed the system 76 drivers (but it told me I didn't need any because ubuntu had all of them already).

The sound does work, but is quieter than it was in 7.10. After recovering from suspend, I have no sound until I reboot. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks
    I would assume we have the same model (Compal JFL92). I've discovered I'm also having some suspend issues: no video after resuming. I haven't even tried hibernating yet.
    Nathan Sprangers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The no sound after suspend issue has been filed in a bug report. Follow progress on this issue here...
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/system76/+bug/223742
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Thanks, the link above worked for me after a reboot on my Serp4.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    The no sound after suspend issue has been filed in a bug report. Follow progress on this issue here...
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/system76/+bug/223742
    For the purposes of this thread: I ended up just installing from fresh and all my problems went away (well, all my Ubuntu related ones ). Thanks for the link Tom.
    Nathan Sprangers