Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded to 8.04 this morning...

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post Upgraded to 8.04 this morning...

And frankly, I'm disappointed that they dumped Firefox 3 Beta on us without giving us a choice. It lacks plugin compatibility (at least for the ones I use most often) and asks for feedback for testing? WTH?! I recall LTS being Long Term Stable. Not Beta or a platform for testing a 3rd party's application!

I hope I can get 2.0.14 back because until 3 gets stable, it's history. I needed those plugins to keep bookmarks and other stuff synced with my other machines.

The upgrade went pretty good however, so that wasn't a bust there. I downloaded an .iso first just in case, and then let the system upgrade itself. Figured if there was going to be a glitch or problem somewhere I'd at least have the .iso file for backup.

Only real glitch that I ran into was the loss of sound after the upgrade. A quick search of the main forums brought that back though.

All in all, upgrade went well but I'm leaving the jury out for the time being until I see just what all this latest version has to offer that makes it better than 7.10.
    Registered Linux User #414589
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Beans
    Distro

Re: Upgraded to 8.04 this morning...

Well, got rid of Firefox 3 beta and installed Firefox 2 again but now I can't install any of my preferred addons. This is beginning to look like I may be going back to 7.10 before long if this keeps up.

Anyone else experiencing issues with Firefox?
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Beans
    Hidden!

I was planning on installing the older version of Firefox as well. I too am shocked that they have this with a beta program in it. Man do i need my gbookmarks back.
    How did you install the older version of FF? Are you still gettin gth e"not compatible" message when trying to install plug-ins? Have you tried deleting or renaming the .mozilla file in your home directory? That may clear the issue.
    Alabama LoCo

Don't just use Linux, Learn Linux please refer to Proper Documentation. http://wiki.ubuntu.com http://doc.gwos.org http://ubuntuguide.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I upgraded today. It kept everything I had, but I don't use that many plugins. It did resolve an issue I was having with playing DVDs, so I'm happy so far.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. Jim Eliot

Beans

there is a how to on how to do this somewhere in the howto thread wow i didnt mean to say how to thatmany times lol
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Yeah, refrigerators are pretty disappointing
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    instant oatmeal killed my wife and children
    Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    Stop hatin' on the wang, man.
    TWITTER!

Beans
    Hidden!

OK, it's late and I am tired but here is what I did.
    I downloaded Firefox2. The extracted that into the /opt file.
    Then I created a shortcut on my upper panel.
    Right click>add to panel then click custom launcher.
    Type: Application
    Name: Firefox2
    command: /opt/firefox/firefox
    Comment: ForeFox 2.0.0.14
    You can click the icon button (looks like a platform on a spring.
    The navigate to the icon at /opt/firefox/chrome/icons/default/default.xpm
    Do not start it yet.

Next, go to your home folder. and hit ctrl+h (show's hidden files) now just rename the file .mozilla to something else by right clicking it and selecting rename. I named mine .mozilla3.
    Now start Firefox from the icon you just started. then you should be able to install your extensions. The only trouble I see is when you click links in email or maybe irc and select open in browser, I think this will open in Firefox3.
    I will post when I test it tomorrow.
    Alabama LoCo

Don't just use Linux, Learn Linux please refer to Proper Documentation. http://wiki.ubuntu.com http://doc.gwos.org http://ubuntuguide.org

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crane View Post
    I was planning on installing the older version of Firefox as well. I too am shocked that they have this with a beta program in it. Man do i need my gbookmarks back.
    How did you install the older version of FF? Are you still gettin gth e"not compatible" message when trying to install plug-ins? Have you tried deleting or renaming the .mozilla file in your home directory? That may clear the issue.
    I uninstalled FF3 via Synaptic (took 2 tries to get rid of it too) and then installed FF2 the same way. Still can't use any of my plugins. Keep getting some infernal error message when it tries to install any of them.

I'm going to try uninstalling FF2 via Synaptic and just install it right from the Firefox site itself to see if that will help. This time I'm going to wipe all traces of it from the home directory to see if it makes any difference.

This is beginning to NOT look like an UP-grade. Don't remember signing up for "test-dummy" service on this version.

Beans
    Distro

OK, got FF2 installed like you did Crane except I couldn't get the folder to copy over or ectract into the /opt folder. It's in my Home folder for now. Everything else is just like you said when you signed off last night...no links work from email anymore...not even FF3 tries to load. Small inconvenience but I can live with it for now. At least I got my plugins back.

Am going to do a little research on the main forums this morning to see if anyone has come up with another solution. Never can tell.

Beans

Don't you have read the release notes about firefox 3 being set by default instead of Firefox 2 ?

Anyway, before getting my *ss kicked, just think about having a firefox version which support is dead by next december in a 3 years SUPPORT distro ?

And at least, for your info, S = Support, not Stable in LTS.
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinsLair View Post
    OK, got FF2 installed like you did Crane except I couldn't get the folder to copy over or ectract into the /opt folder. It's in my Home folder for now. Everything else is just like you said when you signed off last night...no links work from email anymore...not even FF3 tries to load. Small inconvenience but I can live with it for now. At least I got my plugins back.

Am going to do a little research on the main forums this morning to see if anyone has come up with another solution. Never can tell.
    You will have to use sudo to move the file to op. Sorry I should have mentioned that. I did not uninstall Firefox 3 though. I left it and will test it out today as far as links form irc and email.
    Just as a note I had to install libstdc++5 in order for Firfox2 to work.
    Alabama LoCo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast