Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to run a Linux distro in Bootcamp?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Is it possible to run a Linux distro in Bootcamp?

If I install Bootcamp on my Macbook, will I be able to run Linux Distros in it?

If not, I can use VirtualBox but I'd prefer not to as it's still a Beta.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Is it possible to run a Linux distro in Bootcamp?

Bootcamp, as far as I know is a tool that lets you partition your hard drive.

I think that you will be wasting your money by using bootcamp.

If you are running Leopard, you can use Disk Utility to resize your partition, then boot from an Ubuntu Live CD and create a new ext3 partition in the free space freed.
    James (Registered Ubuntu User #19236)

iMac G3 350Mhz Summer 2000, running Debian Squeeze
    Compaq Presario
    M2000 running Ubuntu Jaunty

Beans
    Distro

Ok, Ty

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm beginning to think Boot Camp does something more than simply repartition; a little Window$ anecdote. Got a hold of TinyXP (already own a legal copy of XP, just saves me the work in nLite) a couple months back, and got curious, so I parted'd myself a new 10G piece of fat32 and popped in the cd. Bootsplash and bootsplash and nothing more. Back on the OS X boot cd, I removed that fat32 partition, booted back into OS X, Boot Camp'd a new one, and booted off the TinyXP cd again. Boots, formats, reboots, installs, reboots, does all the normal drudgery XP does, and I end up with a working (as much as XP can) OS. The sole difference was that I made the partition with Boot Camp and rebooted via Boot Camp's command. I have had this issue with out-of-the-box windows as well.

So I don't know, maybe Boot Camp does a little MBR/BIOS emulation so Window$ has a place to hook on to? Either way, Ubuntu installs fine without all that jazz, so you should be fine without it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy4041 View Post
    yep, if you let us know what kind of mac you have, we can point your to the correct wiki page that will detail the process...

Quote Originally Posted by McLeod Brennaman View Post
    ...I parted'd myself a new 10G piece of fat32 and popped in the cd.
    I think the issue for you was different... how did you create the partition? what tool?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy4041 View Post

I think that you will be wasting your money by using bootcamp.

If you are running Leopard, you can use Disk Utility to resize your partition, then boot from an Ubuntu Live CD and create a new ext3 partition in the free space freed.
    What are you talking about? Bootcamp is FREE.

Anyway, Bootcamp is simply a tool for partitioning your drive and makeing a driver cd for windows. you can use it to partition the drive if you want, or you can do it with GPARTED or something.

There are plenty of howtows in these forums.

Virtualbox works great for me, don't be scared of the beta label. There are some advantages of running Ubuntu native however. 3D accel. is a major one.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck! there is plenty of help here.

Russo
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Well, the one thing bootcamp DOES do is ensure that the 2 partition tables are in sync. Disk utility DOES NOT do this by default, it leaves an EFI protective entry in the MBR and only alters GPT.

I was also pretty sure Gparted does the same thing, requiring you to use gptsync to get those changes reflected in the MBR after partitioning.
    Steve

http://xercestech.com - Insanely geeky projects n stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by russo.mic View Post
    What are you talking about? Bootcamp is FREE.
    My understanding is that the Boot Camp beta for Tiger has expired and the product is now only available for Leopard. In that case, it's not FREE, but rather costs $129 for the OS upgrade.

If you're on Tiger there's not much need for Boot Camp aside from the WinXP drivers. If you plan to install Ubuntu alongside OS X then you can just use Disk Utility in OS X to create your partitions, rEFIt in OS X to sync the GPT/MBR and give you a nice boot menu (although refit in Ubuntu will sync the disks just the same but wont provide the nice boot menu) and gParted in Ubuntu to create filesystems etc.

Good Luck!
    "This would make more difference if it made any difference at all; but it doesn't make any difference at all, because you are listening to a conversation among dead businesses." -- Eben Moglen

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    I think the issue for you was different... how did you create the partition? what tool?
    I originally just used gparted to resize my HFS+ partition and create a FAT32 partition in the freed space, booted back to rEFIt and synced the MBR/GPT and tried to boot from the TinyXP CD, but that method didn't work for me, and neither did Disk Utility booted from the OS X install disc. I don't know, could have been a fluke since I've spent so much time repartitioning and resizing this drive, could have had a bad sector in the wrong place at the wrong time or something. Not too concerned about it as it works now, so I'm happy.

RE: benanzo
    You're correct in that Tiger users have to upgrade to Leopard to have access to Boot Camp, but one interesting fact to note is that Boot Camp (AFAIK) is just a gui for some Darwin functions. I know there is a volume resize tool in Darwin and have used it in OS X before (of course the name escapes me now), but it seems this, along with the MBR (that rEFIt also makes) and Window$ drivers (easy enough to come by on the web, also not really necessary except for Ethernet, graphics accel, and sound, as most hardware works natively) are the main uses of Boot Camp. Seems kind of redundant to upgrade to Leopard when these features are present elsewhere, even built into the OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by McLeod Brennaman View Post
    ...Boot Camp (AFAIK) is just a gui for some Darwin functions. I know there is a volume resize tool in Darwin and have used it in OS X before (of course the name escapes me now)...
    diskutil resizeVolume

http://www.macgeekery.com/tips/cli/n...sizing_volumes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast