Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Beans

Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Nythain View Post
    ok, now lets see if anyone can come up with how to fix this problem with kdm/kde since im having the same problems as you all, but dont have the same options

im sure i have the equivalent buried somewhere in kcontrol, anyone have any clues???
    I'm waiting too .
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

Talking Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. View Post
    I can confirm that this fix works for me as well. I've just tried it and had two successful reboots and two successful shutdowns in row for the first time since upgrading to Hardy. I had a bit of trouble following the shorthand references in the posts above, so I'll offer a lengthier description for those who may wish to try this.

Go to "System" -> "Administration" -> "Login Window". In the "General" tab, press "Edit Commands...", which will launch a window titled "Reboot, Halt, Suspend and Custom Command Preferences". In this window, select "Halt command" in the drop-down box for "Command Type:". Underneath it, in the "Path:" box, cut the verbiage in quotes: "Shut Down via gdm." After doing so, press "Apply Command Change", then paste the quoted phrase back into the "Path:" box and hit the "Apply Command Change" button again. Finally, go through the same process for the "Reboot command" in the "Command Type:" drop-down, again cutting the quoted phrase, applying the change, pasting the quote, and applying the change.
    Thanks a lot for this. I was wondering how to fix the problem and thankfully I ended up here.

A couple of questions though...

What would make you think to do this? and how long will this fix....Stay fixed? Will I keep having to do this every startup?

Thanks again

Beans

I had this same problem but all I needed to do was remove "Shut Down via gdm." from the halt option. Since doing this ubuntu shuts down or reboots without any problems and seems to be a permanent fix to my problem. I have tried re adding "Shut Down via gdm." to the halt option to see what happens and the system shutsdown as its meant to. So what does "Shut Down via gdm." do?
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans

I can add to this bunch. Hardy shutdown gets fixed if I set a static IP for the box, which I always do (eventually).

When first installed, I set a static IP like I always do and never had a shutdown problem (I had a static IP). I reinstalled Hardy for another reason AND HAD THE SHUTDOWN PROBLEM. Eventually I set a static IP and viola!... the shutdown problem is history.

Obviously, all these bandaids have a root cause. This is just MY bandaid.
    Expert Opinions $5 Shutup $10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I too had this shut down problem on my Acer 4152 Laptop....
    post #13 solved my problem.....
    Thanxxxxx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Lightbulb Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Well the solution stated in Post #13 does work, but the problem as others have pointed out is that it needs to be done everytime u restart or halt the system, and thatz buggy. I felt that there must be some problem with the reboot and shutdown scripts and did play around with them a bit and it soved the problem. But I am not a linux expert so cant tell why it works. Any this is what I did.

In /etc/init.d there is a file by the name reboot which is the script for rebooting the system..........well thatz what I feel......if itz wrong plz do correct me.........There is a line of code in it
    reboot -d -f -i which seems to be the problem maker..........
    for those of you who have the problem with the network not stopping correctly due to which the system does not reboot or halt I suggest remove the last part of the line -i which tries to iteratively stop the network devices. That should solve most of the problem.

Another solution that works on system is to change that line of code with
    /sbin/shutdown -r now

well and a funny thing about the reboot command is that in its man page there is no description about the command modifier -d which points to something buggy in its coding ?????
    Last edited by girishsasikumar; May 11th, 2008 at 08:28 AM.

Beans

Thank you very much. I haven't had problems with rebooting, only shutting down (no idea why), so in the file /etc/init.d/halt I changed the line
    Code:
    halt -d -f -i $poweroff $hddown
    to
    Code:
    halt -d -f $poweroff $hddown
    and my computer shut down for the first time in a week (or two, or whatever). It's rather amazing, and it's *buntu generic.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by girishsasikumar View Post
    well and a funny thing about the reboot command is that in its man page there is no description about the command modifier -d which points to something buggy in its coding ?????
    Code:
    man reboot
           /sbin/reboot [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i]
    -d     Don’t write the wtmp record. The -n flag implies -d.
    Not that I know what that means, but the -d flag *is* for real.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

cant wait to give it a try, thanks for the infos and heads up

Beans

Fascinating. I suspect reboot option "-i" in the scripts is on top of what I'm seeing, too.

I first discover if I have a mounted windows share I get the slow shutdown. This is a share in /mnt, cifs via a mount command (not the Nautilus stuff). Just a umount prevents the slow shutdown.

Next, I discover as long as NetManager is not set to this "Roaming Mode" (whatever the heck that is) then all is well again, too. Even set straight DHCP or STATIC IP is ok - only "Roaming" gets the slow shutdown.

The terminal message during slow shutdown:
    [ ***.****] CIFS VFS: server not responding
    [ ***.****] CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 50 mid 11 (or 9)

More things I see:

I'd like to understand more before hacking at /etc/init.d scripts. BUT...

Man page says on the reboot -i option: "On Linux, this is unnecessary as the kernel will do this anyway." Hmmm...

And YES... why doesn't the packaged man page for reboot NOT cover -d? Is this just some sloppy packaging?
    Expert Opinions $5 Shutup $10

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast