Thread: XRandr Nvidia Twinview

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

XRandr Nvidia Twinview

I'm trying to get a multi-monitor setup that I can swap on the fly between 3 displays (laptop, external LCD, TV)

So far I can use xrandr to swap between a single display (laptop or LCD) and twinview (laptop + LCD). This works fine.

But I cannot seem to be able to get the TV to work.
    I want to be able to swap from
    Laptop + LCD
    to
    LCD + TV

I tried setting the metamodes in my xorg.conf, but could not seem to get it going.

My current xorg is like this:
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Videocard0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "1"
        Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
        Option         "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +1920+400; CRT: NULL, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    EndSection

Does anyone know how I can set this up?
    Or has anyone got something like this working?

Note that I CAN get the setup working by replacing the xorg.conf with another one which is setup for TV + laptop display, but this requires restarting X. I want to get this working through xrandr, so I can do it on the fly..

thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: XRandr Nvidia Twinview

A wild stab in the dark would be changing the metamodes line to remove the identifiers in it so it applies to whatever two screens are currently available.

Code:
    Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select,nvidia-auto-select; NULL,nvidia-auto-select;"
    Other than that im not sure if what your doing can be done easily, have you had any luck using nvidia-settings?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: XRandr Nvidia Twinview

Using nvidia-settings I can set it up and save to the xorg.conf file and it will be how I want it after restarting X. But I have not had much luck getting the on the fly setup working from pressing Apply. It always seems to mess something up.

I think for xrandr to work, I need to be able to enable and disable the different screens (since only 2 can be active at once).