Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Power management (daru2)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Power management (daru2)

Quote Originally Posted by gbuntu55 View Post
    That's what so strange. I don't seem to have any sound or wireless LED problems and I'm not using the the driver.

If it ain't broke...I don't see why I should install the s76 driver?
    The main thing it fixes is the internal & external microphones.
    With the latest Ubuntu they might not need fixing anymore.
    I think I remember them working without the driver but they might have been low on gain.

I'm on the latest kernel in Archlinux right now & they don't work at all with it.
    I need to take a look at the 76 driver & see what the fix is.

jdb
    Last edited by jdb; January 17th, 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Power management (daru2)

From what I've seen, the System 76 "drivers" are not actually drivers, per se, but rather a series of python scripts that detect and apply certain platform-specific fixes. A lot of the time, certain machines, especially laptops, require a bit of fiddling to get certain things like hotkeys and microphones and embedded webcams to work. Sometimes you might need to insert a module or change the hotkey masking or have certain troublesome services disabled at suspend time or something like that when the autodetection doesn't quite do it for you.

Gradually, whatever failings keep hardware from "just working" are fixed, and tweaks aren't necessary anymore, which is almost certainly why later distributions don't have some problems, and don't require the "Drivers".
    "In matters of aggression we have given them absolute power over us."

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415