Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to convert VBox machine to VMware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How to convert VBox machine to VMware

Does anyone know how to convert VBox virtual machine to VMware?

I've been using Virtual box for a while and do like it, especially the seamless mode. But I was able to convert my physical system to VMware virtual(on another computer) and i think it works better and it's easier to configure. With VBox i have to setup my bridged network every time i reboot and the USB support is kinda tricky too. All that is really easy with VMware. Anyway, i have my Vbox setup with al my work applications and settings and was wondering if i can convert to Vmware and don't have to reinstall everything again.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to convert VBox machine to VMware

I did some research and found out that it could be done with QEMU. I installed and tried to do it, but couldn't figure it out. The code should be something like : qemu-img.exe convert -O vmdk hdd.vdi hdd.vmdk

Does anyone knows exactly how to complete the task?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I figured it out!! YAY!!

"sudo qemu-img convert /home/emil/.VirtualBox/VDI/WindowsXP.vdi /home/emil/Desktop/XP.vmdk"

I'm not sure if need to be executed with "sudo" but that worked for me. Now I can switch to Vmware Virtual Machine from Virtual Box.

P.S. I want to close this thread but i'm not sure how

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release
    Go to the top of the forum and use Thread Tools menu, to use [SOLVED]. With the new forum software it shows then at the bottom, left of the posts.

Do you know if you can go the other way, .vmdk to .vdi?
    Last edited by fjgaude; April 28th, 2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added last line, a question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    Go to the top of the forum and use Thread Tools menu, to use [SOLVED]. With the new forum software it shows then at the bottom, left of the posts.

Do you know if you can go the other way, .vmdk to .vdi?
    I'm pretty sure it would work. Actually I had to convert to VMX instead of VMDK. It completed with no errors but when I tried to open it with VMware Workstation i get error and does not work

I guess I need to keep searching for solution.

Beans
    Distro

Gosh, .vmx is really just a config file... I would think more would have to be converted.

Let us know if you ever succeed.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, when you try to open the virtual machine from VMware Workstation is searching for VMX file. I assumed that is the actual virtual hdd. The qemu "converted" to .vmdk and .vmx but neither one worked.

Dunno what to do

Beans
    Distro

It would seem that the <name>-flat.vmdk is the one that has to be converted. Likely we'll have to wait until someone who has done it shows how. <smile>

Thanks for your efforts.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell Laptop 11.6" N3050.
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did that the first time. Again the process completed with no errors and I converted my XP.vdi to XP.vmdk. But when you try to open it from VMware it's searching only for .vmx file. I guess there has to be some kind of configuration file with the XP.vmdk. I found multiple How-Tos online to convert vmware to vbox but not the other way around

I'll keep searchin

Beans

Thumbs down Re: How to convert VBox machine to VMware

Converting from vdi to vmdk probably just converts the virtual disk(since each program, VirtualBox and VMware have diferent configuration sets, I've read that Virtualbox has a xml file somewhere whereas VMware has the vmx file.)

I suggest creating a new virtual machine on vmware(with the desired configurations and the virtual disk option, of course) and then manually switching the vmdk file from this vm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast