Thread: Unusable Partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unusable Partition

Hi everyone!

I'd like to install Kubuntu in my computer and then turn it to KubuntuStudio. I've 2oGb partition that appears as "unusable", I'd like to install my OS there. But I don't know how to give it "ext3" format and how to mount it as "/". I'm using the Gutsy LiveCD but as I said the 2oGb partition appears as "unusable" and it don't give me the normal options: "edit partition" and "delete partition".

Does anyone know how to give format to this partition in the way to use it after as "/"? I think that if I give it the "ext3" format I'll be able to install the OS with the LiveCD myself.

Thanks everyone and pardon the newbie!
    Carles Mayol i Ricart
    Rocker, socialdemocrata, independentista, culé, republicà, ubuntaire i catòlic
    Ubuntu User # 22295||Let Fluxbuntu and UbuntuStudio enjoy Ubuntu family
    ATENCIÓ/WARNING: Codis Perillosos/Malicious Codes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Unusable Partition

Quote Originally Posted by LitusMayol View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'd like to install Kubuntu in my computer and then turn it to KubuntuStudio. I've 2oGb partition that appears as "unusable", I'd like to install my OS there. But I don't know how to give it "ext3" format and how to mount it as "/". I'm using the Gutsy LiveCD but as I said the 2oGb partition appears as "unusable" and it don't give me the normal options: "edit partition" and "delete partition".

Does anyone know how to give format to this partition in the way to use it after as "/"? I think that if I give it the "ext3" format I'll be able to install the OS with the LiveCD myself.

Thanks everyone and pardon the newbie!
    HI and how many partition are on that drive? You are allow 4 partitions to a drive unless you create a extended partition.

Beans
    Distro

HI and how many partition are on that drive? You are allow 4 partitions to a drive unless you create a extended partition.
    I've:

1.Windows
    2.Windows Recover Disc
    3.Ubuntu 8.o4
    4.Swap
    5.Unusable

So, am I not allowed to have more than 4?
    Shall I erase the "Windows Recover Disc" to put my Kubuntu? How I retrieve the unusable partition?

Thanks man!
    Carles Mayol i Ricart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by LitusMayol View Post
    I've:

1.Windows
    2.Windows Recover Disc
    3.Ubuntu 8.o4
    4.Swap
    5.Unusable

So, am I not allowed to have more than 4?
    Shall I erase the "Windows Recover Disc" to put my Kubuntu? How I retrieve the unusable partition?

Thanks man!
    HI and you can only have 4 primary partitions. You will have to delete one and if you have a windows install disc then that would be my choice. once you delete the partition then you will be able to create a extended partition. Now if the Windows recovery is at the beginning of the drive then it may be unable to move you other partitions to recover that space. I am not a expert on partitioning and this link may help
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282018

Beans
    Distro

Ok man!

Thanks overdrank! I'll take a look to the link and decide what exactly I do.

Thanks again.

Carles Mayol i Ricart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From a live CD, delete your swap partition. Then create an extended partition occupying the total remaining free space on your drive. In the extended partition, recreate your swap. Now, you will be able to create additional partitions in the remaining space. Indeed, a drive can hold at most four primary partitions. To fit more partitions on a drive, logical partitions within an extended partition must be used.

You will need now to update the UUID of the swap partition in the fstab file of your Ubuntu installation. Still from the live session, open the fstab from the system partition of your Ubuntu 8.o4 partition in an editor. Your swap will be announced with a line such as (the first line preceeded with # is just a comment)

[code]
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=17053c24-7853-42ba-af90-b8275742dd0b none swap sw 0 0
    /
    [code]

Use the command "sudo blkid" to reveal the new UUID of your swap partition. It will look like

Code:
    /dev/sda1: UUID="c9cb8b29-152a-47ac-b952-5b9909a290ba" TYPE="ext3" 
    /dev/sda5: TYPE="swap" UUID="17053c24-7853-42ba-af90-b8275742dd0b"
    The second line is the one of my swap. For me, the numbers match, but for you not anymore: that is what you are correcting. You can just copy the UUID="...." part of that line (Highlight and Ctrl+Shift+C in the terminal) and paste it over the "UUID=..." part in your fstab.

After loading Ubuntu 8.04, check whether your swap is correctly recognized and used: open an terminal and type "cat /proc/swaps"

It should be listed like

Code:
     cat /proc/swaps
    Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
    /dev/sda5                               partition	3028212	36564	-1
    f
    If not, double check wether the UUID in fstab and that of the swap match.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry man, but I'm a newbie and i don't really understand this...

You will need now to update the UUID of the swap partition in the fstab file of your Ubuntu installation. Still from the live session, open the fstab from the system partition of your Ubuntu 8.o4 partition in an editor. Your swap will be announced with a line such as (the first line preceeded with # is just a comment)
    Thanks anyway!
    Carles Mayol i Ricart