Thread: some q's about Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 Remix 64-bit

Beans

some q's about Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 Remix 64-bit

Just installed Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 Remix 64-bit version the other day! It's great, I love it, I'm a big KDE fan from version 3.X. and KDE 4 is no exception. I like how intuitive it is for me, and the default programs, etc. KDE 4 I find is 10 times better, faster and sexier!

Except for a few annoyances/bugs/questions:

1. I can't move the icons or widgets around on the bottom panel!
    2. Ofcourse a few of my fave programs haven't been ported across to KDE 4 yet!
    3. Kaffeine comes with easy codec installation now, whereas with these new programs, juk & dragon player, I'm not sure how to easily setup support to play avi & mp3 files. I mean, it'd be nice if it did it automatically (like kaffeine)!
    4. What's with that widget button in the top right? If you right-click the desktop you can 'add widget', I think that should be enough. Plus I don't know how to remove it!
    5. I installed firefox 3 ('cos I'm still not used to konqueror) and there is no shortcut anywhere! I have to alt+F2 to run it!

Any help to get around these would be great, I'd like to stick with KDE 4!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: some q's about Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 Remix 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by clt View Post
    Just installed Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 Remix 64-bit version the other day! It's great, I love it, I'm a big KDE fan from version 3.X. and KDE 4 is no exception. I like how intuitive it is for me, and the default programs, etc. KDE 4 I find is 10 times better, faster and sexier!

Except for a few annoyances/bugs/questions:

1. I can't move the icons or widgets around on the bottom panel!
    2. Ofcourse a few of my fave programs haven't been ported across to KDE 4 yet!
    3. Kaffeine comes with easy codec installation now, whereas with these new programs, juk & dragon player, I'm not sure how to easily setup support to play avi & mp3 files. I mean, it'd be nice if it did it automatically (like kaffeine)!
    4. What's with that widget button in the top right? If you right-click the desktop you can 'add widget', I think that should be enough. Plus I don't know how to remove it!
    5. I installed firefox 3 ('cos I'm still not used to konqueror) and there is no shortcut anywhere! I have to alt+F2 to run it!

Any help to get around these would be great, I'd like to stick with KDE 4!
    1. I dunno
    2. You can always use kde3 programs within kde4
    3. Again, I dunno
    4. sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
    5. I think it's a bug. Whenever you install something new you have to restart the x server before it will show up in the menu

Beans

1. hmm, anyone know?
    2. oh yeah, true!
    3. oh cool, thanx!
    4. can anyone explain that widget button?
    5. yeah, I've restarted my computer, still no shortcut for firefox anywhere!

Beans

I've come to the conclusion that KDE 4 isn't ready yet for a stable, functional desktop setup, for me anyways.

I love the look of it, it's sexy as. I love the whole widget idea and plasma. I love how desktop effects is incorporated. The feel of it is fast & great, but...

Just a few things keeping me from using it as my desktop OS. Such as no "show desktop" widget, I know it's small, but I like my setup precise. I can't move icons around on the panel. A few small things like this...

I'll wait until it's official KDE 4 is 100% ready, then released with kubuntu... Back to standard kubuntu for me