Thread: Enlightement

Beans

Enlightement

Hey guys, hope this is in the right section - I just tried installing E17 and I think everything went well, however when i log out, and try logging into enlightement, it says "you tried to start from bin this is bad, you should use englightement start. I this maybe because of me previously using an old guide which didn't work, where I edited the enviroment file. Does anyone have a good enviroment file for enlightement?

Beans

Re: Enlightement

Quote Originally Posted by Zophixan View Post
    Hey guys, hope this is in the right section - I just tried installing E17 and I think everything went well, however when i log out, and try logging into enlightement, it says "you tried to start from bin this is bad, you should use englightement start. I this maybe because of me previously using an old guide which didn't work, where I edited the enviroment file. Does anyone have a good enviroment file for enlightement?
    Hi Zophixan.

How do you install it?

And do you start it? directly? login manager?
    Can you post the output of:
    Code:
    ls /usr/share/xsessions/
    ?

Beans

Hi, i used this guide : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...17+cvs&page=54
    I start it via login manager.
    I have tried in kde starting it, but obviously that wouldn't work! I have yet to try starting it from command line. Since preferbly would like it to work through login manager.

Beans

Smile Re: Enlightement

That howto is quite old, actually... Why don't you try removing e17 and installing it again, using this howto, which is more recent, and works fine. I used it to install e17 when hardy was still beta and it's worked without any problems.
    Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zophixan View Post
    Hi, i used this guide : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...17+cvs&page=54
    I start it via login manager.
    I have tried in kde starting it, but obviously that wouldn't work! I have yet to try starting it from command line. Since preferbly would like it to work through login manager.
    Ah that explain it the problems.
    Like angry_johnnie said it's old and obsolete.
    You should check the last posts of threads when they are closed, usually they link to updated ones when closing.

About your problem, assuming that script run it successfully till the end, to correct it do:
    Code:
    sudo rm /usr/share/xsessions/e17.desktop
    sudo ln -s /opt/e17/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop
    That done it's the same as run my deb package on updated thread, without some minor tweaks...

hth