Thread: right click menu on Desktop

Beans

right click menu on Desktop

I've added AWN and some screenlets to my desktop, and the only thing that is keeping me from being able to get rid of the top menu bar in the applications, places, and System menus. I believe it was xfce that I could right click the desktop and it would allow me to access these menus. Is this possible in gnome? I'm running hardy.

I've searched the forum and couldn't find and answer to my question and also wasn't for sure of the best catagory to post in so feel free to move it appropriately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: right click menu on Desktop

I don't know of any screenlet or program that will allow you to do this, but if you want to keep Gnome, then also install Openbox (or a *box variant). You can change your session to be Openbox+Gnome on the login screen, now you will have Gnome desktop manager, with Openbox environment. You will have to configure the menu for Openbox before hand, but there are lots of tutorials for that across the forum.
    Currently using WinXP with emergeDesktop shell on my laptop, and Vista on my gaming machine. Sorry guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

AWN has a plugin for it, at least it did when i ran it, cant remember what its called though, and its not as elegantly laid out as teh actual panel app... but it exists

with AWN i had no need for the panel anymore at all, though gettign rid of the panel itself proved difficult at best...

the only other alternative, is as already mentioned, you could install a *box window manager along with gnome, keeping the actual gnome desktop environment while having teh benefits of the *box right click menu (though im not sure if the right click menu is available as long as you have nautilus managing the desktop itself, i havent actually tried myself)

Beans

This is a question that comes up regularly. KDE can have a right click desktop menu. Xfce has one by default. In Gnome it is harder to achieve. Have a look at the following threads:

1. Right Click Menu?

2. Is it possible to make the menu...

3. Customise Gnome desktop popup menu -- how?

4. Is there a way to Fluxbox Menus Without Fluxbox?

If you use Compiz-Fusion, you could try its desktop menu.