Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Unknown device 1026 (rev b0)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Solved !!!

Quote Originally Posted by pdelahun View Post
    Hi Guys

Thank you, thank you so much !!!

I have got it working !!!

Ok first the network card is Atheros(R) AR8121/AR8113 PCI-E

Ok these are the steps i followed to get it working!

1) I installed ubuntu hardy 64bit, i has build-essential package installed
    2) Then i downloaded the linux driver from: http://support.asus.com/download/dow...model=P5KPL-CM
    (as per my original post)
    3) I then transfered the driver via usb stick to my laptop and unpacked the zip. (Actually i unpacked it on windows first as it has a .rar file that i could not unpack on linux Then i packed it up again on windows).
    4) cd into <HOME_DIR>/LinuxDrivers/L1e_Lan/l1e-l2e-linux-v1.0.0.4/src
    5) then i ran: sudo KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make
    6) then i ran: sudo KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make install
    7) that worked and put a driver in /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/
    8 ) i cd into that director and i run: sudo insmod ./atl1e.ko

That is it !!! it worked as soon as i plugged in network card.

Thank you all so much !!!! I hope this helps everyone else
    Thank you pdelahun for the step-by-step instructions. They worked perfectly. I just got my network working on my new computer with an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard. Immediately after step 8, the Network Settings monitor showed that it was seeking an IP address. I'm posting this from my new PC.

Just a quick followup. I ran the Update Manager after getting on line, and after I rebooted, I lost my network. I re-ran the above, but this time I changed line 7 to: /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/
    then sudo insmod ./atl1e.ko and it worked like a charm.
    Last edited by dalesd; June 29th, 2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: follow up info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I spent all day today trying to figure this out with no luck. I finally found your post, and it worked! Thanks so much!!

Beans

Re: 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Unknown device 1026 (rev b

Do I understand this correctly that Hardy does not support the network controller on P5Q out of the box and manual compilation is required?

As far as I am concerned that is unacceptable. Doesnt that mean that a new compile with unsure results is necessary each time there is a kernel update with the update manager?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Unknown device 1026 (rev b

Quote Originally Posted by johann_p View Post
    Do I understand this correctly that Hardy does not support the network controller on P5Q out of the box and manual compilation is required?

As far as I am concerned that is unacceptable. Doesnt that mean that a new compile with unsure results is necessary each time there is a kernel update with the update manager?
    Out of the box, Ubuntu and, as far as I know, all distributions, load the module atl1. The trouble is that the built-in module doesn't work well or at all.

The developers are, I'm quite sure, aware of this, and we hope a fix is in the works. The next kernel could, for all we know, include a new atl1e module.

In the meantime, compilation of the module from source, from Asus's website, is quite easy if you have build-essential and linux-headers-generic installed. I did it myself in 10 minutes without error. Yes, it will require a recompile every new kernel.

If this is unacceptable to you, your course is clear. Return the motherboard or buy a $15 NIC that is fully supported.

Will the day come when every piece of hardware, even that which was invented last Friday, is supported out of the box? No, I'm afraid not. Will the day come when your Attansic is supported out of the box? Yes, I'm certain.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

But hang on, out of the box 8.04 appears to load atl2!!
    john@john-desktop:/home$ sudo lshw -C network
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter
    vendor: Attansic Technology Corp.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    logical name: eth1
    version: a0
    serial: 00:1e:8c:d0:8e:99
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=ATL2 driverversion=1.0.40.2 firmware=L2 latency=0 link=no module=atl2 multicast=yes port=twisted pair

That said my networking still wont work see my post
    http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/...d.php?t=845713

john

Beans

Same problem solved on a Acer AS8920G-834G32BN, too. But I still live with no sound... (Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel) but this is OT...

I use OpenSuSE 11.0 x86-64 version (updated by yum with base repositories and many OpenSuSE build service repositories).

Thank you too,

Carlo

p.s.

- The kernel modules "atl1" until version 2.0.7 and 2.1.3 (e.g. atl1-2.1.3-linux-2.6.25-standalone.tar.gz) doesn't still support L1E (e.g. 0x1026 device, PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet chip); you could find them here http://atl1.sourceforge.net/ However, this is a very useful page. (In this GPL module a "grep 1026 *" in the src directory fail, however I recompile and update my kernel atl1 module to 2.1.3 version)

- Always there (http://atl1.sourceforge.net/) you could find vendor (Atheros/Attansic) driver (e.g. l1-linux-v1.2.40.2.tar.gz), but they still doesn't support L1E (PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet chip); checked by "grep 1026 *" in the src directory

- Always there (http://atl1.sourceforge.net/) you may be able to browse the directories too ftp://ftp.hogchain.net/pub/linux/attansic

- As you could see here http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/6/27/642 Atheros is patching atl1 module to full support the L1E Gigabit Ethernet, but in my current kernel (2.6.25.9-0.2-default) there still is atl1 version 2.0.7 (used "modinfo atl1")... I think 2.1.4, or so, module version will soon integrate L1E support

- Asus download driver created by Atheros (l1e-l2e-linux-v1.0.0.4) is, at present, the only one supporting L1E (and L2E too, it seems) PCI Express chips; his compiled module is named "atl1e" (here a "grep 1026 *" in the src directory success!). It's very lucky that Asus support and believe in linux

- It's a pity that Acer does NOT!

- However it's also a pity that Atheros doesn't explicity get us able to direclty download his current source driver from his support site (http://support.atheros.com/)!!!

Hope will help and clarify

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just a note to say that these instructions worked on yet another P5Q Pro.

Keep up the good work!

M

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Worked fine for a P5Q.
    NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does. Make sure you know what it is that you're telling your system to do before doing it; some commands can be very harmful to your system or leave you vulnerable to attack.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The instructions posted by pdelahun, but I edited them for clarity in case people are a bit more green to this than others:

1) From a PC with a working internet connection, download the linux driver from: http://support.asus.com/download/dow...model=P5KPL-CM. Hit the "drivers" page and find the linux driver in the list of files (will download a .zip archive named LinuxDrivers.zip).

2) Inside the zip file is a .rar archive that you'll need to extract, so you'll need to be able to open .rar archives. If you're working from a Windows PC to download the driver, there are a number of applications out there to do this. If you're using a Linux PC to download the driver, then just get “unrar” (it's in the Ubuntu the repositories).

3) The .rar archive is inside the L1e_Lan folder (l1e-l2e-linux-v1.0.0.4.rar), you'll want to extract the contents to a folder named l1e-l2e-linux-v1.0.0.4 – so your newly created folder (named l1e-l2e-linux-v1.0.0.4) should contain a folder named src and 4 individual files (atl1e.7, copying, ldistrib.txt and readme). Make sure you put the l1e-l2e-linux-v1.0.0.4 folder inside the L1e_Lan (your folder structure should look like this; LinuxDrivers/L1e_Lan/l1e-l2e-linux-v1.0.0.4/src.

4) Install Ubuntu hardy (32 or 64bit), make sure you also install the build-essential package from the CD (you can do this through synaptic after choosing the CD as the source).

5) Transfer the folders from your PC with the working internet connection (where you did the work with the .rar file) via usb stick, external USB drive or whatever to the PC you installed Ubuntu 8.04 on (you can zip the file before you transfer or just transfer the entire Linux Driver folder. Just put it in your /home directory.

6) Open a terminal and cd (change directory) into that folder by running: cd <HOME_DIR>/LinuxDrivers/L1e_Lan/l1e-l2e-linux-v1.0.0.4/src (where <HOME_DIR> is your home directory, i.e. /home/username/

7) run: sudo KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make

8) run: sudo KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make install

9) This should put a driver in /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/. The driver is the at1le.ko file. Keep in mind, if you are running a different kernel, the 2.6.24-16-generic folder will be named after that kernel (i.e., mine is 2.6.24.19-generic because that's the kernel I'm running), so when you CD into the directory below, make sure you use the right kernal number for the folder name.

10) From the terminal, cd into that directory (/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/) and run: sudo insmod ./atl1e.ko (again, since I was running a different kernel, I cd'd into /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/)

That's it. The driver should be up and running. Whenever you update to a new kernel, I believe that you'll have to do this all over again, but it works for now until the kernel actually supports this chip by default. To me, it's not that big of a deal, I just kept the folders with the drivers inside my home directory for later use.
    Last edited by NineseveN; July 30th, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
    NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does. Make sure you know what it is that you're telling your system to do before doing it; some commands can be very harmful to your system or leave you vulnerable to attack.

Beans

Recently decided to try out linux as i had a spare HD lying around. Im running a P5Q motherboard and came across the network problem.
    Tryed doing the above but can you please explain what you mean by "CD into" and i presume <home_dir> is the home folder?
    Very new to linux so please excuse the idiotic questions
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast