Thread: Network manager won't connect to WEP in 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Network manager won't connect to WEP in 9.04

Hello,
    This is kind of a new problem for me. Network manager won't establish a wireless connection to my wireless modem. The modem is protected by a wep key (40/128) wep index 1 /shared key. My room mate can connect with her windows laptop to the same network-using the same key. So...it's not the key being incorrect. I don't really know what to do here. I recently tried to try out the aircrack-ng suite to see how secure our modem was. I used this guideto try to get it working. Which I suppose packet injection doesn't work on 9.04. Sorry for the ramble, just trying to get the details out of the way. So here's the short Questions.

1.Would patching drivers for packet injection have a negative effect on Network Manager so that it wouldn't be able to connect to a wirelesss network?
    2. Is there something else that could be wrong with network manager that it would not accept a wep key?
    Note: I can connect to non-encrypted networks with no problems, also I can connect via a eth0 connection no problems.
    Wireless card=Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)
    Thanks for any help, and sorry this was a little long winded.

Beans

Re: Network manager won't connect to WEP in 9.04

having a similar problem

works fine in windows xp and vista but not on my ubuntu 9.04

i also don't know how to select "plain old normal" WEP from ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Network manager won't connect to WEP in 9.04

Alright, so I installed 8.10 on another partition. It worked. So....I think I'm going to look at how to make a patch.....or just wit for koala to come out and hopefully it will be magically fixed. I think option A is more likely.