Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 312

Thread: Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv9000

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    4

    Re: Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv900

    Still no luck for me I can see my WEP network but can't connect, it tries to apply the WEP key and fails.

    Hardy on Dell Inspiron E1505 with Broadcom BCM94311MCG card. Output of lspci -nn:

    0b:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI [14e4:4311] (rev 01)

    Tried nuking the network manager and installing wcid as suggested in one of the threads - better interface, still doesn't work.

    Really lost at this point... re-installed Hardy, ndiswrapper and bcmwl5, doesn't seem to help.

    Any suggestions? Thanks!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv900

    Quote Originally Posted by lola23 View Post
    Still no luck for me I can see my WEP network but can't connect, it tries to apply the WEP key and fails.

    Hardy on Dell Inspiron E1505 with Broadcom BCM94311MCG card. Output of lspci -nn:

    0b:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI [14e4:4311] (rev 01)

    Tried nuking the network manager and installing wcid as suggested in one of the threads - better interface, still doesn't work.

    Really lost at this point... re-installed Hardy, ndiswrapper and bcmwl5, doesn't seem to help.

    Any suggestions? Thanks!
    What does lshw -C network, ndiswrapper -v, and ndiswrapper -l show?

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Beans
    191
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Unhappy Re: Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv900

    No luck on a Compaq Presario V3000 with a Broadcom 4311 (rev 02).

    It istalled the driver, but still no wireless. iwconfig just shows lo and eth0 (no wlan0).

    ndiswrapper -l states:
    bcmwl5 : driver installed
    device (14E4:4311) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)

    EDIT:

    lshw -C network

    product: BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI
    wendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
    version: 02
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver_b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb

    hmm....it seems I have the b43 driver? I blacklisted it as indicated, but maybe the bugfix wasn't successful. What can I do?
    Last edited by Praxicoide; May 17th, 2008 at 05:31 AM.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    4

    Re: Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv900

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    What does lshw -C network, ndiswrapper -v, and ndiswrapper -l show?
    lshw -C network

    Code:
     *-network DISABLED      
           description: Wireless interface
           product: BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 01
           serial: 00:16:ce:3a:af:b3
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+bcmwl5 driverversion=1.52+Broadcom,10/12/2006, 4.100. latency=0 link=no module=ndiswrapper multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
      *-network
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 02
           serial: 00:15:c5:16:d1:5c
           size: 100MB/s
           capacity: 100MB/s
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.34 latency=64 link=yes module=ssb multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
    ndiswrapper -v

    Code:
    utils version: '1.9', utils version needed by module: '1.9'
    module details:
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/misc/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko
    version:        1.52
    vermagic:       2.6.24-16-generic SMP mod_unload 586
    ndiswrapper -l

    Code:
    bcmwl5 : driver installed
    	device (14E4:4311) present (alternate driver: ssb)
    I guess it's showing that my wlan0 (wireless) is disabled??

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv900

    Quote Originally Posted by lola23 View Post
    lshw -C network

    Code:
     *-network DISABLED      
           description: Wireless interface
           product: BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 01
           serial: 00:16:ce:3a:af:b3
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+bcmwl5 driverversion=1.52+Broadcom,10/12/2006, 4.100. latency=0 link=no module=ndiswrapper multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
      *-network
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 02
           serial: 00:15:c5:16:d1:5c
           size: 100MB/s
           capacity: 100MB/s
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.34 latency=64 link=yes module=ssb multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
    ndiswrapper -v

    Code:
    utils version: '1.9', utils version needed by module: '1.9'
    module details:
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/misc/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko
    version:        1.52
    vermagic:       2.6.24-16-generic SMP mod_unload 586
    ndiswrapper -l

    Code:
    bcmwl5 : driver installed
    	device (14E4:4311) present (alternate driver: ssb)
    I guess it's showing that my wlan0 (wireless) is disabled??
    You are one of the people that needs to have ssb so that your wired ethernet card will work. If you look at your other card, you will see the b44 driver. That driver needs ssb.

    Just for now, I would try to remove ssb just to see if you can just get your wireless back up:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb ndiswrapper
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    If it doesn't work, you can enable your wired connection again by:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe b44
    . If it does, try connecting your wired again.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    129

    Re: Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv900

    OMG! Thank you so much for this guide, I've been going crazy having to wire my laptop connection up every time.

    MODS - STICKY THIS THREAD!!!!

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    4

    Re: Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv900

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    You are one of the people that needs to have ssb so that your wired ethernet card will work. If you look at your other card, you will see the b44 driver. That driver needs ssb.

    Just for now, I would try to remove ssb just to see if you can just get your wireless back up:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb ndiswrapper
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    If it doesn't work, you can enable your wired connection again by:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe b44
    . If it does, try connecting your wired again.
    That didn't seem to help So you are saying that my problem is a conflict between ssb for wired ethernet card and wireless drivers??

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv900

    Quote Originally Posted by lola23 View Post
    That didn't seem to help So you are saying that my problem is a conflict between ssb for wired ethernet card and wireless drivers??
    No, the new Broadcom drivers are now using ssb which is causing a conflict with NDISwrapper. The new Broadcom drivers are b43 (wireless) and b44 (wired).

    The reason why I asked you to do this was to make sure that there was not a conflict. Since NDISwrapper still did not start up even though we removed the b44 and ssb drivers, we know that the wired card is not causing any problems.

    Yours almost looks like your wireless is turned off. Do you have a switch to turn it on? If it is on, what happens when you go to the Terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    sudo iwlist scan

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    1

    Re: Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv900

    This was really helful, sticked to your howto and it was working...

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv900

    Quote Originally Posted by Praxicoide View Post
    No luck on a Compaq Presario V3000 with a Broadcom 4311 (rev 02).

    It istalled the driver, but still no wireless. iwconfig just shows lo and eth0 (no wlan0).

    ndiswrapper -l states:
    bcmwl5 : driver installed
    device (14E4:4311) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)

    EDIT:

    lshw -C network

    product: BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI
    wendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
    version: 02
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver_b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb

    hmm....it seems I have the b43 driver? I blacklisted it as indicated, but maybe the bugfix wasn't successful. What can I do?
    Can you post your ndiswrapper -v and lspci -nn? The fix is not always necessary. The fix is needed if your wired card uses the b44 driver. Once you post the information, we can then test NDISwrapper by removing the necessary modules and loading ndiswrapper. When that is working, we can then configure the rest.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •