Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Virtualization Software?

Beans

Question Which Virtualization Software?

I still have an old install cd of Windows 98 which I would like to run as a guest under Ubuntu, in order to play some old games which will not run on Vista or XP. From past experience I was unable to get sound in VMware Server, so I was wondering which Virtualization software would be the best. VirtualBox? What are the free options?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Which Virtualization Software?

I like virtual box myself. I find that it works a lot easier than vmware and i really like the windowless mode where it seamlessly integrates the windows from the other OS into linux.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

I have installed VirtualBox and am in the process of installing Windows 98. How do I ensure that the Windows 98 virtual installation has NO access to the network? I only want to use it for some old games and don't want the hassle of having to run Anti-virus software.

Beans

If your processor is an intel-vt / amd-v enabled one, you can try KVM. It is a simple and quick answer to virtualization, even if you will have to use it on command line.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KvmVirtManagerEtc
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Beans

I personally like vmware
    Proudly ubuntu since '05
    CPU: i5-4210U 1.7Ghz | RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3L SODIMM | GFX: nVidia GeForce 635M
    Distro: Ubuntu 15.04 64-Bit

Beans

I have Windows 98 running now, but the resolution is stuck at 640 x 480. how can I increase the resolution? I thought I may have to install graphics cards drivers, but I can't find a driver for Windows 98 for a Nvidia GeForce 8600GT graphics card.

Beans

Install additional software from your emulator. You can find it easily in virtual box. Can't remember which menu

It will give you video driver among other things.
    Ubuntu user #3088

Beans

Windows 98 in VirtualBox is still in crappy 640 x 480 16 colors with no sound. What do I do to fix it? Couldn't find a sound driver or a video driver. Where do I find Windows 98 Legacy drivers?
    Last edited by Wake Rider; April 27th, 2008 at 10:02 AM.

Beans

Talking Re: Which Virtualization Software?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake Rider View Post
    Windows 98 in VirtualBox is still in crappy 640 x 480 16 colors with no sound. What do I do to fix it? Couldn't find a sound driver or a video driver. Where do I find Windows 98 Legacy drivers?
    Install virtualbox additions. It will help you for both sound and video. For sound, verify that the output is not "null".
    Ubuntu user #3088

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Wake Rider View Post
    I have installed VirtualBox and am in the process of installing Windows 98. How do I ensure that the Windows 98 virtual installation has NO access to the network? I only want to use it for some old games and don't want the hassle of having to run Anti-virus software.
    As everybody is suggesting install virtualbox additions for your sound, mouse, video problems, don't provide your virtual machine a network card if you do not wish it interact with the outside world. if you do need to get stuff from your host, you can attach a network card and attach it as HostOnly, this will just access your host drive. You can also specify folder to be shared in your VBoxMachine and map it in Win98

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast