Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot an existing XP (Physical HD) install with VirtualBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Boot an existing XP (Physical HD) install with VirtualBox

Resolved the BSOD with guest additions problem when booting natively. On my Thinkpad T60p this was caused by SynTP.sys (Synaptic Touchpad driver). Uninstalled the driver and everything works like charm now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by borikru View Post
    I had the same problem with my Thinkpad t60p.
    1) After trying many solutions, I noticed that disk geometry reported by fdisk before Windows is installed is different from geometry reported after Windows XP was installed *running fdisk from LIVE CD). This led me to investigate how disk geometry might cause problems, and as a matter of fact, most posts on this matter say geometry should not be an issue. However, I tried to tweak geometry setting in the .vmdk file and it worked. Windows XP booted from physical partition on Thinkpad T60p.

Entries that I changed in the .vmdk file:
    ddb.geometry.biosCylinders="12921"
    ddb.geometry.biosHeads="240"
    ddb.geometry.biosSectors="63"

The numbers correspond to how Windows discovered the geometry (same as reported by fdisk after windows overwrites the MBR).
    I believe this has something to do with LBA mode, which I cannot change in the BIOS on Thinkpad T60p.
    I still can't figure out where you got those numbers from, but changing the biosHeads to 240 did the trick for me. I left the cylinders alone because I couldn't find any way to get fdisk to report 240 heads so I wasn't sure what the right value was, but it doesn't seem to matter. So a big thank you from me.

I'm on a T42, BTW, and I think this will fix it for people who were getting the corrupted screen after selecting Windows from Grub too. Depending on how I did it, I either got a disk read error or the corrupted screen before, so I think the underlying problem is the same.

Beans

Thank you Sand Lee! This post worked great for me. I do have a SATA drive (500gb Seagate), so apparently it can work. I didn't do anything outside the tutorial. Well, I actually got confused for a while and tried MergeIde and a bunch of other things, but it turned out they were totally unnecessary (I believe).

Instead, I just had to follow Step 5 more carefully. First, to get around a grub bootloader error 17, by having Virtualbox load the grub.iso created in the earlier steps. And, second, when I was past the bootloader, but Windows XP froze, by enabling IO-ACPI. And, finally, when Windows told me I had to reactivate my copy of XP, by rebooting into non-virtual windows (since my USB mouse/keyboard weren't working yet). Oh, and at the very end I did install Guest Additions, since my Windows XP was going crazy slow looking for video card and base device system drivers. And Guest Additions made Windows totally usable and didn't mess up things for me at all (as far as I know).

PS I should note I using Intrepid and Sun Virtualbox 2.1.2 (not the totally open one).
    PPS One question, in case anyone knows, I still have to set Virtualbox to load the grub.iso every time I run it. Otherwise it goes back to my normal grub and error 17. Is there a way to change this and actually load the grub.iso permanently for the virtual boot? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: Boot an existing XP (Physical HD) install with VirtualBox

hey...

what key(s) in the registry did you edit to get the CPU working correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by kejava View Post
    I get the same behavior too. sata hd (ST980811AS) but have to keep it as an IDE controller. Have dual core but at least one of the CPUs is always pegged at 100%. Alternates between the two.

UPDATE: stopped the CPU from being pegged at 100% by editing the registry. however, still can't go from ide to sata w/o bsod.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by nemebean View Post
    I still can't figure out where you got those numbers from, but changing the biosHeads to 240 did the trick for me. I left the cylinders alone because I couldn't find any way to get fdisk to report 240 heads so I wasn't sure what the right value was, but it doesn't seem to matter. So a big thank you from me.

I'm on a T42, BTW, and I think this will fix it for people who were getting the corrupted screen after selecting Windows from Grub too. Depending on how I did it, I either got a disk read error or the corrupted screen before, so I think the underlying problem is the same.
    I got those numbers from "fdisk /dev/sda" before and after installing windows. Before it showed 255 heads, and after windows installation booting with live cd shows 240 heads. Num of cyls from the same place.

Beans

Dear Sand Lee, et al.

Thank you so much for outlining the steps so simply! I now have a happy XP install running in ubuntu WITH usb which makes things sooooooooo much easier! Syncing my ipod in ubuntu is the uber-convenience!

Anyway, two things I have noticed that may make things easier. I havent read the 20 odd pages of this post, so forgive me if they've been mentioned already.

1. Im using SP3 and have the Virtual NIC set to the same MAC Address as eth0 and when I restarted I didn't have to reactivate windows (perhaps I just got lucky? I've only been back in once since.

2. Im using 2.1.4 and installed the guest extensions and they didnt mess anything up at all, I can still boot natively and all is well!

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

that would be great if you could install the guest additions and still boot natively. Anyone else confirm this? Maybe newer virtual box versions have fixed this since this post was originally created?

Beans

I followed the instructions, with VirtualBox 2.1.4, but when I boot the virtual machine I get a BSOD with error STOP: 0x0000007B. Booting in Safe Mode reveals that the last driver it loads (successfully?) is mup.sys. I've tried experimenting with the type of IDE controller in the VirtualBox settings, but neither type (PIIX3/PIIX4) works. I also tried some other instructions that suggested using the MergeIDE tool, but that doesn't seem to fix this.

My laptop, like all computers in the last several years, uses a SATA drive. It appears that some people have managed to get those to work, though...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Beans

Would this be possible to with OSX and bootcamp? I have Vbox set up with Ubuntu and xp sp2 set up with bootcamp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I cannot get the grub iso,

I typed in:

cd ; mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o grub.iso iso

and it said:

~$ cd ; mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o grub.iso iso
    I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
    Using MENU000.LST;1 for iso/boot/grub/menu.lst~ (menu.lst)
    Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
    Total translation table size: 2048
    Total rockridge attributes bytes: 921
    Total directory bytes: 4096
    Path table size(bytes): 34
    Max brk space used 0
    245 extents written (0 MB)
    .i coi rodo

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast