Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiz Issues in Hardy Heron (8.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Compiz Issues in Hardy Heron (8.04)

I have been running Gutsy for the past few months on a Dell Inspiron 6000

-1.6GHz Centrino Processor
    -1.2Gb RAM
    -30Gb HD
    -ATI Mobility Radeon X300 video

Using Gutsy I had Compiz enabled, running beautifully, using the opensource video drivers and xgl (if memory serves). Upon upgrading to Hardy, I found that Compiz was disabled. I tried enabling it (System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects and click either 'normal' or 'extra'), but received a message stating that the graphics could not be enabled. I tried using the ATI Restricted Drivers, but that just gives me a white screen when I try to enable Compiz.

I looked around online and found that maybe I needed to reinstall xserver-xgl. I did that, and (using the restricted drivers) got Compiz working, but very, very sluggishly. So slowly, in fact, that I couldn't use it. The helpful response I found for this problem was to remove xgl, taking me back to my original, helpless state.

So that leaves me in this position: I need XGL for Compiz to work at all, but I need to delete XGL in order for Compiz to work properly.

You can see the pickle I am in.

If anybody has any ideas (or needs more information; I tried to keep from getting too verbose here) I would be very grateful.

-Johannes

PS I know similar threads to this one are all over the forums already, but I've been through so many of them and just been run in circles that I figured this was the next step in finally getting somewhere.
    Last edited by Paqmann; May 1st, 2008 at 06:06 AM. Reason: incorrect specs

Beans

Re: Compiz Issues in Hardy Heron (8.04)

You aren't the only one with these problems. I am having the exact same issues almost verbatim as you described it with an ATI X1400 card.

Beans

Beans

I tried the SKIP_CHECKS fix suggested in that thread, but I am still getting a white screen when I try to run compiz --replace. I am currently using the restricted drivers for my ATI X1400 card, but I have removed xgl for the reason described in Paqmann's post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm hoping to find a fix rather than just a workaround. Something about my obsessive-compulsive nature, I guess. I'll take broken-awaiting-a-fix over working-with-a-workaround-which-I'll-eventually-have-to-remove-if-it-ever-gets-fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Got sick of searching and tried the workaround; it did the same thing as enabling Compiz normally--went to a white screen. So the workaround is a no go.

It also might be worth mentioning that when I look at the restricted divers manager, the ATI Accelerated Graphics Driver is labeled as 'enabled' bot 'not in use'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Same thing happened to me and it drove me nutso. You need to get the Ubuntu restricted extras package first. I think I got it in Synaptic. THEN go to system>administration>hardware drivers and enable the restricted driver.

Hope this helps.

Beans

I have the exact same problem with my radeon 9550 (my topic just died and was never replied to )
    I have tried just about every guide around to fix this, but nothing seems to do the trick
    I was really hoping to get compiz in Hardy

...and I just tried the restricted extra package with no difference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

if the drivers "not in use" uncheck it, check it again, and restart

as for the white screen, i got that once, i changed back to the vesa driver, the reinstalled the fglrx driver, and it eventually worked fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast