Thread: Problem with Video card, and mp3s won't play

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile [SOLVED] Problem with Video card, and mp3s won't play

Hello all!

I am a new Ubuntu user, been using Ubuntu for a few months now, and I am loving it. That being said, I don't know if I did something fatally wrong or what but I feel like the more I try to fix it, the more things get messed up.

Okay so here's what's up. Been using 7.10 for a while now, all was good, and then the day 8.04 came out I upgraded as soon as I could. Now I understand that when a new release comes out, there is bound to be bugs and errors every now and then, so I'm okay with that, but a big issue that came up was suddenly my graphics card wouldn't work. I couldn't get any kind of info that would explain to me what to do about the problem, so I did what was probably a stupid move.
    I re-installed 7.10 from a disk I made, thinking I'd just wait until 8.04 has whatever is wrong fixed (or at least until the new Firefox browser isn't in Beta anymore).
    Since I did that, when I tried to enable my graphics card, I get a message saying the following: The software source for the package nvidia-glx-new is not enabled. So I went to Add/Remove to find the appropriate item and typed in "Nvidia." Everything that came up said: Nvidia xxxxxxxx driver cannot be installed on your computer type (i386). Either the application requires special hardware features or the vendor decided to not support your computer type. Now I know this should not be the case as I do have the proper hardware installed in my tower. Should I open it up and make sure it's in there tight or something?

Okay so that's the first problem, although worst comes to worst, I can live without it (there might be a better driver I can get somewhere else). The other problem is much more upsetting to me since my life in many ways revolves around music.

I tried installing gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly from Add/Remove (as I had done before without a problem) and I got the following message:Cannot install 'gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly' This application conflicts with other installed software. To install 'gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly' the conflicting software must be removed first. Switch to the 'synaptic' package manager to resolve this conflict. Now I'm not very proficient at all with the synaptic manager but I figured I'd go in an search for gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly and I got a message saying in order to install this, I needed two other items: libid3tag0 and libmad0 in order for it to work, and when I searched for them, nothing showed up.

So, I don't know what to do. Is this fixable? Any terminal commands for me to copy? Anything at all? Please let me know. I am a complete n00b and chances are this is nothing, and I absolutely looooooooooooooove Ubuntu, so regardless of whether or not this is fixable, I'm still going to be working with nothing but Ubuntu. I would just reaaaaaaaaaaally like to fix this if possible.

Any suggestions, absolutely anything at all, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
    Khalid in Halifax, NS
    Last edited by Kha02; April 27th, 2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Problem was solved!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Problem with Video card, and mp3s won't play

Im not sure about your second problem, but the problem with your graphics card seems to suggest that you have not activated all of the repos. Go to System->Administration->Software Sources and make sure all of the repos are checked.
    How To Use Ubuntu - Tips and guides for ubuntu
    How To Make A Band - Tips and ideas for anyone in a band

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I just did what you suggested and immediately afterwards I got a notification saying there are 140 updates for me, so I have a feeling this may have solved the problem. Thank you so much in advance!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I hope this works for you...

Prob 1: Go to System ->> Administration ->> Hardware Drivers
    Click it and see if the graphics card is enabled. If not, enable it. this might ask you to download the 'new' Nvidia drivers.

Prob 2: In the add/remove window, type Ubuntu restricted extras. Try to install that and hope your MP3s will work.

Endorsments: Use Amarok! It rocks! hehe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Actually, what Tatty said was exactly what I needed to do for both problems. My graphics card is back up and running and my mp3s are playing as beautifully as ever. Thank you as well though for such a quick reply!!