Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: No sound on 8.04

Beans

Re: No sound on 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by hooper View Post
    This just outright sucks.

Everytime I upgrade Ubuntu, I have to spend hours searching the damn forums trying to fix sound. Same problem with some progs in 7.10. I'm about fed up with it, they can either get their head out of the rear end or I'm going back to debian or slackware. The whole point of Ubuntu is that is is supposed to just work. Sound is supposed to work. If I wanted to compile my system, I wouldn't be using ubuntu in the first place.

Hooper
    Tell me about it. I've been trying for a week to get sound and tty working.. no one here helping. docs and posts are all over the map with advice, but doesn't seem like anyone here even know how it all fits together. I've been a linux user for years, but I'll have to say, I get more problems than ever with it.

~d

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hooper View Post
    This just outright sucks.

Everytime I upgrade Ubuntu, I have to spend hours searching the damn forums trying to fix sound. Same problem with some progs in 7.10. I'm about fed up with it, they can either get their head out of the rear end or I'm going back to debian or slackware. The whole point of Ubuntu is that is is supposed to just work. Sound is supposed to work. If I wanted to compile my system, I wouldn't be using ubuntu in the first place...

I've about had it with ubuntu. Next revision gives me grief after I get this going and I'll never use it again.

Still doesn't work. Nor many third party apps. This is over a year now. Two revisions. 7.10 and 8.04. Both do not work...

No wonder walmart pulled the linux boxes with ubuntu off the shelves.

I could install debian 4 or slackware 12 and sound just works. You use ubuntu to save time, it ends up costing you more time and energy than compiling your system from sources. Just makes me sick.

The person above this post is using a SB Live 5.1 card. Now how long has this hardware been out there? How long? My card is a 1010LT 12 channel mixing card from m-audio. It works super and has been supported for over 4 years in linux. This is the **** I'm talking about. It's not Linux or debian that is the issue, it's UBUNTU.

Hooper
    SAME HERE. ubuntu needs a "linux restore" function so i can use the old version from 5 years ago that worked, or 1 year ago when it worked too, or even a few months back when it worked. when it works again remind me to switch off the update option.

as a linux newbie (i confess to returning to windows when i get frustrated) i've just had problems finding anything as easy to install as ubuntu, even if it doesn't work 80% of the time it's an easy install. i'll try debian and slackware again (thanks for the info) as soon as i can get my burner to work to burn off documents. ubuntu has plagued me with on/off no sound and ruining DVD disks for years.
    Last edited by shamimkhaliq; September 20th, 2009 at 02:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Angry Re: No sound on 8.04

I updated from 7.10 to 8.04 and I got the crossed circle of dead over my volumen control icon. After weeks reading tons of sugestion and explanations (that I hardly understand) about how to fix it, I just restore my computer to factory setings lossing everything. That was almos a year ago.

Stupid me, that try once more to upgrade to 8.04, thinking that maybe by this time it would work.

I have a dell inspiron 1525. A DELL!!!! COME ON!!! If I had a ChuriChurinFunFlay computer made in some unknow country, maybe I could understand why my sound card doesn't work. BUT I HAVE A DELL!!! A DELL, FOR GOD SAKE!!! Who made a computer program that won't work on dell?

I know anyone can made a mistake. But this is a year long mistake.

Beans

Yeah, a DELL.. and to top it off, a Dell with Ubuntu Linux pre installed. so, it should be all compatible. geez.

Beans

Quote Eisenwinter:

Go to System -> Preferences -> Sound.

On each of the drop down boxes, select ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, and click on the "Test" button.

If no sound is heard, something may be wrong with ALSA.

In that case, I advise installing ALSA from source.

This has saved my *** more than once - thanks
    Last edited by gareththomasnz; October 29th, 2009 at 08:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by gareththomasnz View Post
    Quote Eisenwinter:

Go to System -> Preferences -> Sound.

On each of the drop down boxes, select ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, and click on the "Test" button.

If no sound is heard, something may be wrong with ALSA.

In that case, I advise installing ALSA from source.

This has saved my *** more than once - thanks

How exactly, do I install it from source? Total n00b here, as I am sure you figured out by my question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by dognose2 View Post
    Yeah, a DELL.. and to top it off, a Dell with Ubuntu Linux pre installed. so, it should be all compatible. geez.
    Me too. A Dell 530, preinstalled with Ubuntu. And my sound works for a while but then when I'm away it shuts off. I've spent HOURS trying all the suggestions to fix it, and no luck. I've given up. It's my one big problem with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Anyone know where I can get a Windows Torrent that works, since my New laptop did not come with the reboot cd's?

I need sound.

Beans

i've tried the command given but it result no command available.. i've tried csound instead and download i don't know what it is. then i try again command asoundconsf ls stll the same.. n at the system>sound there is no ASDL..

Beans

I have no sound on my Dell D630 running Hardy. Never had any since the beginning, but I do have sound in windows.

The command
    cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
    returns
    Codec: SigmaTel STAC9205
    Codec: Conexant ID 2c06

I'm not sure of the relationship between this output and my sound card, which as far as I can tel is hda-intel

I followed Eisenwriter's instructions to the end, using ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
    Configured, made and made install for all three directories, no errors, as far as I could tell. Rebooted but still no sound. The bottom line of my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file has the line
    options snd-hda-intel model=auto. Tried various other model names as well, but nothing worked. Any advice as to what I should do next?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast