Thread: 3d acceleration without restricted drivers

Beans

3d acceleration without restricted drivers

Well, back in the day i tried to get wine to work. It didnt, so i never needed to use the restricted drivers. When i tried, it made me boot to a black screen.

But because Hardy is apparantly magic, wine is working. However, 3d acceleration is not. I uninstalled my old drivers, tried the restricted ones. I logged in, and got a pretty white screen. Strangely enough, when i ctrl=alt-backspaced, i saw my desktop for a second before it restarted.

Compiz is still working for some reason or another, even with the white screen (i can make the white screen do a 3d turn to another white screen). Well i did the xserver fix (i love that its automated now) and everything is back to normal.

I'm using ATI's drivers, is there some xorg change that makes 3d acceleration work? Wine would be dandy.

Thanks in advance

Update: After turning off compiz i got halo usb version to show me some green triangles and play the first 5 seconds of the music over and over. Its a start
    Last edited by thedrizz; April 26th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.

Beans

Re: 3d acceleration without restricted drivers

so is this a "no we cant help you" by the forum as a whole?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

White screen? Maybe it's working at a wrong resolution or refresh rate and screwing everything up?

Most of my problems on the ATI card where solved after I followed the unnoficial guide:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

Sorry I wasn't available when your post was on the first page, the forum gets a whole batch of posts in less than 1 hour, specially on new releases.

I remember, when I first installed ati drivers on gutsy, I had to jump to the shell (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and edit xorg.conf to add my own resolution, since, ati didn't filled that for me.
    Last edited by Can+~; April 26th, 2008 at 11:22 PM.
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Can+~ View Post
    White screen? Maybe it's working at a wrong resolution or refresh rate and screwing everything up?

Most of my problems on the ATI card where solved after I followed the unnoficial guide:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

Sorry I wasn't available when your post was on the first page, the forum gets a whole batch of posts in less than 1 hour, specially on new releases.

I remember, when I first installed ati drivers on gutsy, I had to jump to the shell (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and edit xorg.conf to add my own resolution, since, ati didn't filled that for me.
    What on the unofficial guide do you want me to follow?

Beans

could you give me more detail on what in the xorg.conf i should edit? This is rather frustrating, but when i opened xorg with the white screen, its noticibly smaller than it is now.