Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last try - after that I give up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Last try - after that I give up

About 6 months ago, I was in the EXACT same boat as you. Trying to get Gutsy up and running on my laptop was very hard for me -- especially being brand new to Linux.

Some very kind poster told me to stick it out, find a way to make it work, and that I would be grateful later on. Though it took me a MONTH of effort to stabilize my system, I can tell you it was one of the most technically rewarding experiences I have had.

It has come a long way, but using Ubuntu will (unfortunately) still force you to learn a lot more about your computer than you ever wanted to know, but you will be better off for it. The community support here is also second to none...although there are a million new users all trying to get newbie help here right now, so there will be some delays.

Just hang on, you'll be swimming in Hardy goodness before you know it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tofuconfetti View Post
    Try switching the SATA chains that the drives are on. Put the 80 Gb drive on the first SATA connection. Then if Ubuntu boots, modify the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to include the option to boot windows.

Whenever I do a dual boot setup I put Linux on the first drive in the chain and windows on the second. With Ubuntu, the installer automatically recongizes a Windows installs and modifies grub for you.
    SATA chain?

The 250GB drive is SATA; the 80GB drive is an IDE drive.

For some reason, the 250GB SATA drive is listed as an IDE drive in the BIOS.

In the BIOS, the 80GB IDE drive is listed as "IDE Channel 1 Master" (My two DVD drives are the IDE channel 0), and the 250GB SATA drive is listed as "IDE Channel 2 Master".

I tried setting the 80GB drive as the first HDD to boot from, and it still went straight into Windows.

I'm going to try disconnecting the SATA drive.

Beans

I tried disconnecting the SATA drive, and it booted into the nVidia Boot Agent, and gave me the same message as before.

So I switched the 80GB drive to IDE Channel 0 (I switched it with the DVD drives), and it gave me a GRUB Loading Stage 1.5 Read Error.

What should I do?

Perhaps the hard drive is dying?

Beans

Bumpity-bump-bump!

Beans

I'm reinstalling Heron right now with only the IDE drive connected.

My fingers are crossed...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

SATA chain. Maybe a bad usage of the word. But the SATA connectors have an order. Look on the actual motherboard, they will be SATA 1, SATA 2, etc. Then to make matters worse, you'll sometimes have a second group that are connected to a "raid controller", which isn't really a hardware raid controller, it's just another series of SATA connectors on another hardware SATA interface sometimes from a different company that offers software drivers for Windows.

In times past, those had VERY spotty linux support. I distinctly remember a couple of Promise IDE "raid" controllers I never got to even recognize a drive connected to them.

So as a matter of practice, when I am installing Linux on a computer with Windows installed AND I am sure that I want Windows to dual boot (almost never nowadays, since I only use Linux and Mac now) I put a fresh drive in the first "drive spot", either IDE 1 if it's and IDE setup, or SATA 1 if it's an SATA system. I put the Windows drive second on the device chain.

That may be nothing more than superstition to some, but when I do it this way I ALWAYS know which drive I am looking at by device name. In other words if I am working from the command line on a SATA system, the SATA 1 drive is /dev/sda and the second is /dev/sdb. It just keeps me from making mistakes when I do it the same every time.

I have also found that Ubuntu tends to put the grub boot loader on the FIRST drive in the chain. If you put Windows first, you can get rid of it, but if you decide you don't like the Linux you just installed, you have a grub boot loader you don't need. If you put the drive first, just remove the drive, put the Windows drive there, and Viola! you're back where you started. It keeps thing clean.

This is off topic, but it may help you someday.
    JM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rickycodie View Post
    another thing that you could try that has worked for me in the past is to boot into bios and set the hard drive to compatibility or similar setting. if you don't have that setting, then sorry i couldn't help.
    Thanks for your reply. No I do not have any compatability option in the BIOS.

Last night I was trying to load 7.10 version, about after 7 or 8 attempts always with "irqpoll", it reached up to the desk top. I started installing and when I reached the spot where you have to create swap partition, it said it would take a long time. I left my computer on whole night. This morning when I checked, it was still busy creating the swap partition. I canceled it and went straight to installing without swap file. It started installing and hanged after loading 15%.

It did create dual boot option for me, but when I tried to boot it, I got the same message. In XP envoirement it gave me the option to uninstall, which I did.

Most of the time I get same error "ata3.00=failed to set xfermode (err-mask-0x40)"

Is there an explanation of the contents of "Help" you get when you type help at the command prompt.

Thanks for your help.

Abit IP35 Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 - Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT - Cooler Master Hyper TX 2 Processor cooler - Corsair HX Series 520W Modular PSU - Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive - Poineer 109 DVD RW - SATA Samsung SH-S203LJ DVD RW - ATA POINEER DVD-RW DVR-109 - EZCOOL Case - WINDOWS XP Service Pack 3.

Beans

Smile Re: Last try - after that I give up

AT LAST SUCCESS !!!!

Hi all

I tried two things. First instead of booting from my SATA DVD Drive, I booted from IDE DVD Poineer Drive.

Second reading from various threads I used the following switch which
    worked for me :

all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll

Now I have to configure my internet connection. Thanks all for all your help. Cheers

Beans

When i tried to install it with only the IDE drive in the system, it gave me an error about halfway through the install...

Something about not being able to read the files off of the DVD drive, I think.

I'm getting kinda frustrated...

I might just install 8.04 on the 40GB partition on my SATA drive, unless anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I posted this on another thread, but I'll put it here so you guys can see it also. I had forgotten this had worked before. From this thread ...

After all this, I decided on that particular computer to revert back to 7.10. It did the same thing. I hadn't remembered that, but it finally dawned on me that previously I had disabled the "USB legacy support" in the BIOS of that motherboard. I did that again and had absolutely no problems booting up. Then I remembered that was required of another Intel based ASUS motherboard.

So I closed down the 7.10 Live CD and tried the 8.04 CD with the legacy USB disabled. It worked like a charm with no parameters passed to the kernel line.

The only downside to this is that you can't select the options in the boot menu IF you are using a USB keyboard. You can, of course, solve this with a PS2 connected keyboard just for the setup (I always keep one around).

Add that as another one to try on your list of possible solutions.

The hardware I had success on was:

Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
    e6600 quadcore chip
    4 Gb of RAM
    Nvidia 8800 GTX video
    WD 500 Gb SATA drive on SATA1
    SATA DVD+/-RW on SATA5
    No floppy as registered as such in the BIOS
    USB keyboard/mouse
    Last edited by tofuconfetti; April 30th, 2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added hardware specs
    JM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast