Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing/ upgrading xubuntu on 400Mhz iMac?????

Beans

Smile Installing/ upgrading xubuntu on 400Mhz iMac?????

I have a few questions....Xubuntu 6.06 works great on my 400Mhz imac, 512MB ram computer. It also works decently well on a 333Mhz imac, 96MB ram (which I sold for $30.00).

However, EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to upgrade the os, something happens, like it deletes the kernel and cannot reload it properly...usually something is messed up with the xserver-xorg (GUI). If I restart, an error pops up and I then have to restart my computer. Because it does not upgrade it all right for some reason. It also, is not that all the apps are not upgraded, they are.

I cannot install xubuntu 8.04 or even 7.10 as with 7.10, I get the loading screen (where it says xubuntu) and it says there, doing nothing for 5 minutes then goes to a command line. Xubuntu 8.04 does not work because after installing, I get a blank screen shortly after booting

Another question I had it, I have installed java using synaptic, however it still does not work in firefox for some reason. I also need adobe flash but it does not support ppc for linux. I heard of gnash but does that work as well as adobe?? I tried to install that but there were way too many things missing to do the installation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Installing/ upgrading xubuntu on 400Mhz iMac?????

Quote Originally Posted by shgadwa View Post
    However, EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to upgrade the os, something happens, like it deletes the kernel and cannot reload it properly
    That's why I generically advocate using the "alternate" images which are non-live and just pure installers, especially on low-mem machines. Although maybe they have improved the live-cd images for those with a lot of ram - I'm just so used to the "alternates" that I like to reduce the possibilities for errors. Something to try...

If I restart, an error pops up and I then have to restart my computer.
    What is the error? If it is related to being dropped down into a busybox shell like it was on Gutsy, there's a cool tip here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues

Xubuntu 8.04 does not work because after installing, I get a blank screen shortly after booting
    I got mine to work by stopping the boot at the second stage boot: prompt, and using

Code:
    Linux nosplash
    Although yours might need more parameters. We're in some new territory here, and it still appears that our Apple hardware isn't "hardy-savvy", rather than the other way around.

I also need adobe flash but it does not support ppc for linux. I heard of gnash but does that work as well as adobe??
    That's right. I'm amazed that it works as well as it does.

We're all pioneers at this stage.
    Last edited by stream303; April 26th, 2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typos
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans

Thank you for your reply. I used the aternate Cds as the live cds never worked...I'd get this kernel panic...not syncing attempted to kil te idle task warning.

After I tried to upgrade 6.06 using either a CD or the internet, it does not do the whole thing completely for some reason and usually either the kernal and/ or the xserver-xorg gets messed up. The warning was something like xserver-xorg not configured properly. I tried to configure it...with no luck.

I would really like to get this upgraded though...But I find too that it seems as if I run kubuntu more than xubuntu. Maybe the newer xubuntu is better.

On ubuntu, how do I get to a command line before the blank screen so I can type that in???

Thanks!

Shawn

Beans

I need to know how to get to the command ine when it has not booted up yet???

Beans

Exclamation Re: Installing/ upgrading xubuntu on 400Mhz iMac?????

I found out how to get to the command line. Now it says command not found. the linux nosplash command does not work....?

Beans

Unfortunately, Ubuntu hasn't worked well on PPC machines since 6.06. I tried it and ended up installing Debian on a similar machine.

CD
    Administrator of various cast-off debris, most of it running either Ubuntu or Debian

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CREEPING DEATH View Post
    Unfortunately, Ubuntu hasn't worked well on PPC machines since 6.06. I tried it and ended up installing Debian on a similar machine.
    I beg to differ. On a G5 iMac, with 6.06 you are met with screaming fans, and it was only until Feisty 7.04 that it got fixed without requiring manual intervention.

Everything is relative, so I don't want to turn this into a pointless debian-vs-Ubuntu thread. There's no need for that as I also run Debian Lenny testing here and both coexist peacefully - as should the users of both distros...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by shgadwa View Post
    I need to know how to get to the command ine when it has not booted up yet???
    When you first power up, do you get the yaboot prompt in the upper left - which eventually times out and moves on to the second-stage prompt with

boot:

If you do nothing here, it will time out and begin to load the kernel. However, if you hit -tab- here, it will stop the countdown, and allow you to type in special boot parameters.

If you can get yaboot to stop here with a -tab- , try typing
    Code:
    Linux nosplash
    Or do you not even get any yaboot prompts at the very beginning?

Beans

Ok......Did that, but linux loaded jsut like it always loaded before....the screen goes black. I can get to a command line like in a computer without a gui, by pressing Control+alt+F1. Then I sign in...It says no resume image..doing normal boot?????

Beans

I am having the same problem with ubuntu on an emac powerpc g4 800mhz prosser and about 800mb of ram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast