Thread: Intermittent Audio Issues and other Hardware questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Intermittent Audio Issues and other Hardware questions

Hi guys --

I'm having intermittent audio issues after 8.04 upgrade. I don't seem to be able to get any web audio (YouTube, MSNBC, etc.) -- but the card is working fine for MP3 player, system sounds, etc.

I ran the new Hardware Testing app in 8.04 and noticed that the audio card I installed (Creative Audigy) isn't being recognized. The hardware test is seeing the integrated intel audio.

Let me back up here -- I rebuilt an old desktop which had XP installed on it and had integrated audio/video on the motherboard - but I added a new sound card and new video card for obvious performance reasons. Now that machine runs Ubuntu as it should.

My question:

Do I need to disable the integrated chipsets in order for Ubuntu to recognize my other cards?

Or:

Can I simply point the machine to the correct board?

For either solution (or one not listed here) I would require a teensy bit of help in getting that done.

Tho my video card and video effects with Envy are working perfectly fine, tho even my video card fails the Hardware Test and won't display color bars.

This seems weird to me -- but any help or suggestions are appreciated.

On Edit: Could this also be a FFbeta5 issue and have nothing to do with my hardware? And if so - how to fix?

Thanks much.

- nina
    Last edited by nina_aoki; April 26th, 2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: additional question
    Anzuru yori umu ga yasashi...

-- Giving birth to a baby is easier than worrying about it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Intermittent Audio Issues and other Hardware questions

Giving this thread a gentle nudge...

This seems to be a Firefox_3 issue and possibly a system cooling issue. I'm noticing that I lose audio functionality when the system has been on for a while. So -- after a good vaccum and dust-out; hopefully this issue with clear up for me.

But -- I'm also noticing a lot of people having FF3 issues and I'm beginning to question why it was included with Hardy, especially since it's still in beta. I don't think anything bleeding or close to it should have been included - IMO.

- nina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Intermittent Audio Issues and other Hardware questions

Giving this thread a gentle nudge...

This seems to be a Firefox_3 issue and possibly a system cooling issue. I'm noticing that I lose audio functionality when the system has been on for a while. So -- after a good vaccum and dust-out; hopefully this issue with clear up for me.

But -- I'm also noticing a lot of people having FF3 issues and I'm beginning to question why it was included with Hardy, especially since it's still in beta. I don't think anything bleeding or close to it should have been included - IMO.

- nina