Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardy is nothing but trouble

Beans

Cool Hardy is nothing but trouble

Okay, since all the Threads so far have done nothing for me so far, i have to open a new one to state my Problem.
    I'm currently running Linux Mint 4 which is based on Ubuntu 7.10 which works great for me.
    I tried one of the Ubuntu 8.04 Betas before and even they worked great... and NOW the Final of 8.04 won't even boot the Live Environment.
    I tried everything i could find, downloaded both Versions (32 & 64Bit) TWICE, ran MD5 Checks on all downloads, all came out okay and still no frickin' luck.
    I burned all these Discs in the latest Nero on Windows XP with Data Integrity Checks on and i highly doubt that my Internet Connection or the Burner would **** up every Image i download and trash every CD i burn as i have also burned Ubuntu 7.10 and Linux Mint 4 with the same Burner, and they all work.
    So far 8.04 is nothing but trouble... if the Kernel is at fault, then by god: THROW it out and change it against one that WORKS.

At the Moment i just want to boot the LiveCD to try the Final 8.04... why in hell is it keeping me from doing so ?

My System as follows:
    Acer Aspire 5050 Laptop
    AMD Athlon 64 MK-36 2.0 GHz
    2GB DDR2-RAM
    60GB Harddisk
    DVD-DualLayer Burner
    14.1inch TFT-Display
    ATI Radeon X1100 Graphics
    Integrated Sound Card (dunno which at the moment)
    Broadcom 4318 Wireless (works with NDISWRAPPER)

Beans

Re: Hardy is nothing but trouble

well if hardy is that much trouble stick with mint, besides it will get its next version soon.
    Plus mint sometimes behaves better then ubuntu anyhow
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Had similar series of problems with a reinstall of 7.10. Finally did it in safe graphics mode and it went smoothly - is that an option on the hardy release cd. using hardy now and it's fine but upgraded it over net.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had troubles with gutsy back then, exactly the one you describe. I jumped into a shell and did:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    And it logged in as if anything, weird.
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Beans

well, i have used the last Beta once... but i had to update it through the Net to actually install it from Gutsy.
    After upgrading it took one hell of long time to boot... and i have not figured out why so far... maybe because i'm a pro with Windows, but suck at configuring Linux
    All i can hope for is that Mint 5 will come out as fast as possible, and that will be a reinstall again as there is no "dist-upgrade" included in Mint 4.
    About the only downer i found compared to Gutsy...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

ok. I goofed again. please see below.
    Last edited by spiderbatdad; April 25th, 2008 at 03:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

opps. see below.
    Last edited by spiderbatdad; April 25th, 2008 at 03:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

reading the output of dmesg can give you clues to solving hardware detection problems and long boot-time problems. Look for problem with apic or irq polling. Dmesg will include suggestions like: try booting with lapic, or try booting with irq poll.
    Some simple parameters like those can be added to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst, or tried, once, using the 'e' to edit feature from the grub menu, and solve hardware detection problems.

As an example my kernel line is edited like this:
    Code:
    title		Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
    root		(hd0,0)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=604f2b74-7f64-424f-a8bf-1160a71d9ea3 ro lapic pci=routeirq
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
    quiet
    savedefault
    You can see at the end of the line beginning with the word 'kernel,' I have added the commands, 'lapic pci=routeirq.'

Beans

I have an Aspire 5020 and I experienced similar problems.

The following worked for me:

1. Shut down the machine, unplug and remove battery for 10 minutes
    2. Run the Live CD
    3. Change the boot parameters when launching the cd to include 'noapic acpi=off'

That got my LiveCD working and from there I could install happily in the GUI.

Beans

and how long did it take to boot into the Live Environment then ?
    One thing is for sure: If the Live Environment takes 5 Minutes to actually show something on the screen, then it will take the exact amount of time after Installation...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast