Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems After Upgrading to Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Problems After Upgrading to Hardy

Hi,

I have just upgrade my machine to Hardy and have the following couple of problems, not sure if anyone has any ideas

1. No Sound (when running volume control I get No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found)

2. VirtualBox OSE gives me the following error:

Code:
    Virtualbox kernel driver not installed.  The vboxdrv kernel module was either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason
    I have looked in Synaptics and I have the following module installed (virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.22-14-generic

I am running Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 1525 (shipped with Ubuntu)

Thanks,

Gavin,

Just found the issue with VirtualBox, it seems the upgrade didn't upgrade my modules to the version for the new kernel.
    Last edited by gavinjb; April 26th, 2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Fixed one of the issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Problems After Upgrading to Hardy

for the sound problem I thought I would post the output of lspci and see if this can help

Code:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Found an article for Gutsy which mentioned enabling backports and installing linux-backports-modules, when I did a search for this in Synaptics I noticed that I had the version of this for kernel 2.6.24-14 installed and not 2.6.24-16, so I have uninstalled this and installed the following

Code:
    linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-16-generic
    Only problem is it doesn't seem to have made any difference, so maybe this isn;t the issue with 8.04

Do I need to do anything after installing this to tell Ubuntu to search for the soundcard again?

Thanks,

Gavin,

Update: Have just downloaded the 8.04 LiveCD and booted, sound works fine, so why does the LiveCD work and 7.10 LiveCD/Installed work, but the update kill the sound.
    Last edited by gavinjb; April 26th, 2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am also getting the same error:

Code:
    VirtualBox kernel driver not installed. The vboxdrv kernel module was either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason. Please install the virtualbox-ose-modules package for your kernel, e.g. virtualbox-ose-modules-generic..
    VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).

Result Code: 
    0x80004005
    Component: 
    Console
    Interface: 
    IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}
    I'm also not getting any sound. Even with all the volume controls set at maximum.

I'm using Kubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

go to here:

http://www.ubuntu-forums.com/showpos...71&postcount=4

It will explain how to get virtual box back up running. As for the sound card, I don't know. I am having the same problem as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The VirtualBox problem should be easy to solve, I updated my repositories to add the VirtualBox Repository (just change Gutsy to Hardy) and then make sure you have the correct VirtualBox Modules installed for your kernel version (uname -r)

If you can get your volume control to max you are doing better than me, as I just get errors when trying to open the Volume Control as the system thinks there is no sound card installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

I just found this thread with someone with the same issues with me and the same machine, but unfortunately didn't work for me (mind you Ubuntu wouldn't let em rename /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko.REPLACEDBYhsfmodem so I copied it instead)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+inspiron+1525

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

Has anyone had any success with getting sound to work, I have tried everything, including a suggestion I found that was to add your users to the pulse group, but so far no success, I have got to the stage now where I can see my card in System/Prefs/Sound, but when I try to use it I get the following error

Code:
    audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink profile=music: Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument
    I am at the stage where I am considering moving to Fedora (v9 when released next month) as I must say I have not been happy with Ubuntu since 7.04 which I have found to be the most reliable version to date, as I had loads of issues with 7.10 and was hopping 8.04 would fix the issues, but so far does not look good and would not consider it worthy of LTS status.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by zyxyellowxyz View Post
    go to here:

http://www.ubuntu-forums.com/showpos...71&postcount=4

It will explain how to get virtual box back up running. As for the sound card, I don't know. I am having the same problem as well.
    I also upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10 (where I had sound problems) to 8.04 LTS. Sound and all worked just fine until I installed Virtualbox-ose. Then, gstreamer reported that it could not find any sound devices.

I got sound back by using Synaptic Package Manager to:

1) Uninstall virtualbox-ose and related modules.
    2) Uninstall (remove) package linux-image-2.6.24-16-386. I still have the linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic package installed

Reboot machine and voilà - the sound works again!

HEALTH WARNING: Please exercise care - I offer this "solution" as it was the minimal solution that worked for me to get my sound back; your milage may vary. But please note that any such mucking around can potentially unstable of unworkable system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Try reinstalling ALSA with linux backports enabled
    OMG!?!? a n00b that uses search!? unheard of!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast