Thread: How to replace FF3 with Firefox 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to replace FF3 with Firefox 2

Quote Originally Posted by neurostu View Post
    Philinux:

I did read your post.

I have my old gutsy /home folder backup up (with my FF2 profile), can I use the firefox profile from THERE to replace the FF2 profile in hardy and get all my extensions moved over?

Where is the ff2 profile folder saved in Hardy?
    Right yes you can as it's a FF2 profile. The folder is in the same place
    /home/username/.mozilla it's a hidden file you need ctrl h to see them, but you must already know that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So let me see if I get this straight...

When FF3 is installed .mozilla is taken over by ff3 and ff2 has to create a new profile folder (where is this NEW folder?).

when you remove FF2 & FF3 and delete the .mozilla folder, when you install FF2 it will create this .mozilla folder which you can copy let say a gutsy .mozilla folder over... right?
    Allons-y Alonzo! - The Dr.
    Is that what Time Lords do? Lop a bit off, and grow another one. You're like worms! - Donna Noble
    The world is a mess... and I just need to... Rule it. - Dr. Horrible

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FredB View Post
    You didn't answer my question. Why do people bother installing hardy - and the bad boy Fx 3 beta 5 - instead of staying with gutsy ?

Is there somebody threatening them with a rocket launcher or what ?
    its about trying something new, after all hardy is the LTS and support for gutsy will soon drop out.
    I wanted to give hardy a shot and see how it was in comparison to gutsy, for me yes its a LOT better for the most part then gutsy but I see it has a few quirks with firefox 3 being one of them.
    But I wanted to see how firefox 3 was doing too, and I can tell already why its a beta, everything is trial and error and well I got the error
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Talking Re: How to replace FF3 with Firefox 2

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    its about trying something new, after all hardy is the LTS and support for gutsy will soon drop out.
    12 months is soon ?

I wanted to give hardy a shot and see how it was in comparison to gutsy, for me yes its a LOT better for the most part then gutsy but I see it has a few quirks with firefox 3 being one of them.
    What about live cd testing, so ?

But I wanted to see how firefox 3 was doing too, and I can tell already why its a beta, everything is trial and error and well I got the error
    Well. I had not used a single stable release of firefox since I'm using it. Always using the "bleeding edge" and never get lost any single data...

Too lucky ?
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Beans

well the Live can only tell you so much, something might work great on the live but stink when installed...
    hey I opted to give hardy a install as there was really nothing stopping me, I wanted to see if hardy lived up to the hype, and for the most part it has.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123