Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to replace FF3 with Firefox 2

Beans

Re: How to replace FF3 with Firefox 2

Quote Originally Posted by neurostu View Post
    There has got to be a way to revert to FF2 and have FF2 recognize my old settings?

Somebody has to know how to do this...
    I do, at least for the most part.
    You still have your bookmarks and cookies right?
    You can check if they are still there by un hiding the mozilla folder by opening up your home directory and go up to "view" and select "show hidden files."
    in your mozilla directory you might still have your bookmarks and cookies at least, for exentions though I am afraid you have to re install them.
    also if you need help in installing firefox 2 I can teach you, its very simple but lets go the steps shall we?
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you make a backup of your bookmarks this is all you can restore.

Once FF3 has use your profile folder FF2 cannot use it.

You have to delete it and let FF2 create it's own new one. Then you can recover your bookmarks.

I've found FF3 works fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    If you make a backup of your bookmarks this is all you can restore.

Once FF3 has use your profile folder FF2 cannot use it.

You have to delete it and let FF2 create it's own new one. Then you can recover your bookmarks.

I've found FF3 works fine.
    yeh for me it crashed a couple of times, plus the extension thing very important to many users (me included)
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Well. I saw a lot of post like this thread. What about staying on gutsy if you want to use firefox 2 ?
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Beans

well its not like its impossible to get firefox 2 in hardy, heck I did it, its in the repos and brainlessly easy to remedy

Beans

You didn't answer my question. Why do people bother installing hardy - and the bad boy Fx 3 beta 5 - instead of staying with gutsy ?

Is there somebody threatening them with a rocket launcher or what ?
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So Hardy actually works better with my hardware. I had a lot of issues with my wireless adapter, Hardy solved all of these problems. Hardy for me is a better OS.

So I know that the following commands will replace FF2 with FF3
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox-2
    sudo apt-get remove firefox-3.0
    I even added an extension called Nightly tester tools to FF3 that allowed me to run all my FF2 extensions. I'd say about 1/2 of them work, and luckily they were the ones I really wanted.

Does anybody know what FF2 uses as the profile folder in Hardy? Can I just move the FF3 profile folder over the FF2 profile folder and get everything to copy over that way?

What if I remove FF3 and FF2, copy over the profile folder from my old install and then install FF2, will that work?
    Allons-y Alonzo! - The Dr.
    Is that what Time Lords do? Lop a bit off, and grow another one. You're like worms! - Donna Noble
    The world is a mess... and I just need to... Rule it. - Dr. Horrible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please read my previous post.

Beans

I've had much worse luck with FF3. It will sometimes take a long time to load and worse, it will gray out the entire browser until it is finished loading a page...so you can't even switch to a new tab. Often it hangs altogether though this seems only to affect Youtube.

This is a pretty cheap laptop I'm using and I'm actually thinking of just getting xubuntu for speed, but I had no issues with Gutsy/ff2

Also, strangely, I uninstalled ff3 and uninstalled ff2 and then reinstalled ff2...all via synaptic...and then without thinking I clicked on the original FF3 icon in the task bar...and FF3 came up. I'm using it now, in fact. I think I must have had an "ADHD" moment on that, though. Or is there a separate Ubuntu Firefox I should have uninstalled?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Philinux:

I did read your post.

I have my old gutsy /home folder backup up (with my FF2 profile), can I use the firefox profile from THERE to replace the FF2 profile in hardy and get all my extensions moved over?

Where is the ff2 profile folder saved in Hardy?
    Allons-y Alonzo! - The Dr.
    Is that what Time Lords do? Lop a bit off, and grow another one. You're like worms! - Donna Noble
    The world is a mess... and I just need to... Rule it. - Dr. Horrible

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast