Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

Beans

Re: Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

I looked at those topics earlier. It seems that people are able to boot off of a USB external HD. My I can switch to a USB or eSATA connector if I wanted.

Right now I think my best choice would be to make my External HD for backing up ALL of my MacOS.

Then, I think I'll partition 80 GB of free space in the Internal HD, and set it as "Free Space." So when I get to the partition chooser of the Ubuntu Install, I select Largest Continuous Free Space. Largest Continuous Free Space applies to a partition that has NOTHING on it except space, correct? So I don't run the risk of having it install on my MacOS partition, because there is over 80 GB free there, even AFTER I partiton it?

So if I select Largest Continuous Free Space and let it do an automatic install, Ubuntu will set up a swap for me.

Then when it's done and I reboot, I reboot into rEFIt and select the Legacy (or Linux) icon? This is the part that got me confused. Do I select the Linux icon or the BootCamp Windows looking icon labled Legacy OS? I don't have any Windows softeware on my computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mac-wilson View Post
    I looked at those topics earlier. It seems that people are able to boot off of a USB external HD. My I can switch to a USB or eSATA connector if I wanted.
    No, it is the opposite. You cannot boot a legacy OS from an external hard drive, USB or Firewire. (You can if you create a boot partition on your internal drive, but that is still technically booting from the internal.)

Right now I think my best choice would be to make my External HD for backing up ALL of my MacOS.

Then, I think I'll partition 80 GB of free space in the Internal HD, and set it as "Free Space." So when I get to the partition chooser of the Ubuntu Install, I select Largest Continuous Free Space. Largest Continuous Free Space applies to a partition that has NOTHING on it except space, correct? So I don't run the risk of having it install on my MacOS partition, because there is over 80 GB free there, even AFTER I partiton it?
    Yes you are correct. By 'free space' it means space that has no partition on it, not 'space that has no files'. I find that the easiest way to do this is to use bootcamp to resize your OSX partition and create a Windows FAT32 partition. Then you start the Ubuntu LiveCD and run the partition editor (gparted) and delete the FAT32 partition (leaving free space). Then start the Ubuntu installer and choose to install to the largest free space.

So if I select Largest Continuous Free Space and let it do an automatic install, Ubuntu will set up a swap for me.
    correct

Then when it's done and I reboot, I reboot into rEFIt and select the Legacy (or Linux) icon? This is the part that got me confused. Do I select the Linux icon or the BootCamp Windows looking icon labled Legacy OS? I don't have any Windows softeware on my computer.
    You shouldn't have a windows-looking icon after you install Ubuntu. BUT, you will probably need to sync your partition tables in rEFIt first before Ubuntu will bootup anyway because of a bug in the Ubuntu installer. The first post of this thread shows specific directions for fixing that problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

my first post! wheee!

i wish it was a happier one:

i'm having a problem i'm not seeing mentioned anywhere quite the way i'm experiencing it. i downloaded the files and created an 8.0.4 install CD (AMD 64-bit). i followed the instructions here to install on my 3.0 GHz dual quad Mac Pro (the April '07 version with the 667 MHz RAM). all goes just peachy, including booting from the LiveCD - i have full functionality, if you don't count Ubuntu being unable to see my Broadcom wireless card. so i say, "oh this is so cool (and maybe the actual install will be able to see my wireless card)" and proceed with the install, which also goes just as it should. when the install's complete i take out the CD, close the tray and restart, and choose the cute iddle penguin in rEFIt.

alas, i only get to the black screen with the little white cursor blinking in the upper left. once there, that's where i stay until i force a shutdown with the power button on the front of my machine (ugh).

i've tried this twice with no luck. anybody got any suggestions?

many thanks in advance...

tiger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by plaintiger View Post
    my first post! wheee!

i wish it was a happier one:

i'm having a problem i'm not seeing mentioned anywhere quite the way i'm experiencing it. i downloaded the files and created an 8.0.4 install CD (AMD 64-bit). i followed the instructions here to install on my 3.0 GHz dual quad Mac Pro (the April '07 version with the 667 MHz RAM). all goes just peachy, including booting from the LiveCD - i have full functionality, if you don't count Ubuntu being unable to see my Broadcom wireless card. so i say, "oh this is so cool (and maybe the actual install will be able to see my wireless card)" and proceed with the install, which also goes just as it should. when the install's complete i take out the CD, close the tray and restart, and choose the cute iddle penguin in rEFIt.

alas, i only get to the black screen with the little white cursor blinking in the upper left. once there, that's where i stay until i force a shutdown with the power button on the front of my machine (ugh).

i've tried this twice with no luck. anybody got any suggestions?

many thanks in advance...

tiger
    I assume you synced the partition tables as shown in the beginning of this thread? Can you post the content of the Partition Tool (part of refit, located in your /Applications/Utilities folder in OSX)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

i had synched the partition tables (after which i tried to do it a couple more times, with rEFIt telling me each time that they were already synched) and was still getting this result, but since posting my message i've followed the procedure again and this time had success. now if i can just get Ubuntu to see my wireless card...

thank you for your response - sorry i didn't post earlier that i'd gotten past the problem, but i was up all night working on it and when i finally succeeded i just crashed straight into bed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by plaintiger View Post
    i had synched the partition tables (after which i tried to do it a couple more times, with rEFIt telling me each time that they were already synched) and was still getting this result, but since posting my message i've followed the procedure again and this time had success. now if i can just get Ubuntu to see my wireless card...

thank you for your response - sorry i didn't post earlier that i'd gotten past the problem, but i was up all night working on it and when i finally succeeded i just crashed straight into bed.
    For your WiFi, post a new thread and give the output of lspci. I think I know what it is though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    For your WiFi, post a new thread and give the output of lspci. I think I know what it is though.
    k. thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Awesome, thanks for your help. Everything mentioned happened, and was resolved with the solutions, right down to the freezing tux and powering off properly.

System: HP DV9224TX Laptop
    CPU: Core2Duo T5600 1.82GHz / RAM: 2048MB DDR2 667MHz
    HD: 240GB SATA (2x 120GB) / VGA: nVidia Gforce 7600 1024MB (512 Dedicated/512 Shared)

Beans

I have a first-generation Mac Pro. I tried installing Ubuntu on it, but after a reboot I only got the "no operating system found" message.

When I start up my Mac now, it shows me the flashing folder icon with the question mark. The cooling fans inside are spinning at full speed.

The computer doesn't accept any key commands, so I can't boot from the Mac OS X installer DVD, or any other connected disk for that matter. For the same reason, I also can't zap the PRAM or follow the other steps that have been suggested by forum members or indeed the official Apple support pages. I have created a firmware restore CD (following the steps on Apple's support page), but I am unable to use it because the Mac refuses to initiate the firmware update when I hold down the power button at startup. Instead it just turns off again.

Any help with this would be appreciated, because I have the feeling I just acquired an oversized $4000 paperweight.

Cheers!

David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know why this would affect your ability to boot from a CD, or use keyboard combos on startup. That sort of stuff is built into the firmware of your mac.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast