Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

Beans

Re: Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

Thanks, that solved my problem. I had to do both the initial fix and the fix for the tux icon. However, now, for some reason, in refit, in addition to boot OS X from HD and boot Linux from HD, there is a boot linux from Partition 3 option. This seems redundant to me.

Beans
    Hidden!

I supposed installer hadn't this kind of bug. After a clean install on my MacBook a message in a dark screen inform "no bootable device please insert a boot cd and press enter".

By now I guess my Mac looks like a win98 environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by skiwithpete View Post
    I also did a 7.10 install, and then upgraded to 8.10 to avoid the "no system disk" error.

Sound doesn't work.
    Its very hot.
    And I haven't figured out the touchpad configuration (right clicks, and middle clicks are a complete mystery).
    please create new threads for other issues.

Beans
    Hidden!

Unfortunately I had to format all partitions, because my /home (sda3) partition was placed before root system (sda4)

rEFIT considers the first linux partition as bootable and don't check if partition is the root system or home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mabovo View Post
    Unfortunately I had to format all partitions, because my /home (sda3) partition was placed before root system (sda4)

rEFIT considers the first linux partition as bootable and don't check if partition is the root system or home.
    that is dependent on where the boot flag is set in your partition table.

Beans

I have a bit of a similar problem. I have been using Gusty and beta Hardy on partitions 5 and 6 respectively on my MBP. I upgraded Gusty on 5 to Hardy and erased partition 6 and installed Xubuntu to it and installed Grub to partition 6. Now I get the gray screen with the penguin with the message 'no operating system found". I have resynched the tables using EFI partitioner but since I am not using the MBR since my partions are in 5 and 6 i am not sure what to do to get Grub to come up again. Any ideas?

Beans

No problem upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04. But clean install of 8.04 from CD ruins the MBR table for the Linux partition. As suggested by cyberdork33, you can fix this by running the partition tool, resyncing and choosing to save this to the MBR table. The suggested MBR table should look something like this:

# A Start LBA End LBA Type
    1 1 409639 ee EFI Protective
    2 409640 245514279 af Mac OS X HFS+
    3 * 245776424 307693959 83 Linux
    4 307956111 312581111 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Cheers & good luck

Beans

Unhappy Re: Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

Quote Originally Posted by skiwithpete View Post
    I also did a 7.10 install, and then upgraded to 8.10 to avoid the "no system disk" error.

Sound doesn't work.
    Its very hot.
    And I haven't figured out the touchpad configuration (right clicks, and middle clicks are a complete mystery).
    I too have upgraded from 7.10 and it boots fine except that I can't log in as simple user, I can log in in GNOME mode and others from the options but if I try to log in with my user name it just freezes at the orange screen....help anyone? thanks...

Beans

I had this problem, i had to keep using my cd to boot up then it worked fine without the cd once booted.

After carrying out the instructions in the first post on here it boots up fine now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OCTOG3N View Post
    Thanks, that solved my problem. I had to do both the initial fix and the fix for the tux icon. However, now, for some reason, in refit, in addition to boot OS X from HD and boot Linux from HD, there is a boot linux from Partition 3 option. This seems redundant to me.
    The same for me: I fixed the two problems with the solutions proposed in the first post, and now I have to choose between "Linux from HD" and "Linux from partition 3". Which one should I boot from? Does that mean that there still is a problem? If yes, is there a way to fix it?
    Thanks for your help.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast