Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teamspeak + aoss in 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Teamspeak + aoss in 8.04

If I set wine's audio driver to ALSA, I get no wine sound at all and the inbuilt sound test fails if any other application that has sound is running - which is no surprise because ALSA's trying to grab the sound device while pulse audio already has it.

Update:
    I seem to have fixed my mic problem ony by configuring ALSA->Pulse->ALSA as described on http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...seAudio_plugin. On ubuntu/hardy you can simply run "asoundconf set-pulseaudio" though.

I now run (linux-native) teamspeak through "padsp teamspeak".

Update2:
    Apparently the quality of the sound input teamspeak is getting just sucks. My microphone works fine in other apps, so it must be due to either teamspeak or pa(dsp).
    Last edited by mriedel; April 27th, 2008 at 03:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can confirm that issue. I have been trying to play WarCraft III in wine with TeamSpeak. I'm down to running "teamspeak" and causing teamspeak to grab the sound device and not let wine/warcraft output sound -OR- running "padsp teamspeak" and getting sound output fine in both teamspeak and warcraft (game sound is fine, and I can hear the other teamspeak users fine) but when I talk into my mic, they hear garbled noise.

The mic works fine when not using padsp so that possibility is out. My guess is that running through padsp (which I gather is a sound device emulator) is just too slow to process the mic input properly.
    respLect.com home of the stuff I do in my spare time. Some of it is kind of cool.
    Life is why I have to die today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

So does anyone know how to accomplish this on Gutsy? I want to be able to play Counter Strike via wine and hear/talk on Teamspeak (and possibly play music as well).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use TS with Enemy Territory, and found a simple way to make them work together (finally after a long time of testing) and as you can see it was really simple.

1.- Install Linux TS Client
    2.- Enable mic boost and test it to work under TS, it should be no problem, still device under TS should be "OSS /dev/dsp"
    3.- Force TS to use alsa

4.- Force ET to use playback only device (/dev/adsp in my case)
    Command line parameter to start ET:
    Code:
    ~/bin/et +set snddevice /dev/adsp
    And that's it.

An alternative to xfire is gfire for pidgin, which has released ver. 0.7.0

as for a game server browser try XQF

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Luister View Post
    I use TS with Enemy Territory, and found a simple way to make them work together (finally after a long time of testing) and as you can see it was really simple.

1.- Install Linux TS Client
    2.- Enable mic boost and test it to work under TS, it should be no problem, still device under TS should be "OSS /dev/dsp"
    3.- Force TS to use alsa

4.- Force ET to use playback only device (/dev/adsp in my case)
    Command line parameter to start ET:
    Code:
    ~/bin/et +set snddevice /dev/adsp
    And that's it.

An alternative to xfire is gfire for pidgin, which has released ver. 0.7.0

as for a game server browser try XQF

This not only got all the games I was trying to make work with TS to work, but also fixed this (hard to explain) problem I had with TS.

Now my games have garbled graphics.

I can't win.

Someone hold me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

For those, who have bad sound quality in TeamSpeak (crackling etc.) when using aoss, this might work, at least it worked for me

-Edit your ~/.asoundrc
    gksudo gedit ~/.asoundrc # For Ubuntu
    kdesu kate ~/.asoundrc # For Kubuntu
    (you might want to make backup, if you have already done some tweaking )

Paste this inside ~/.asoundrc:
    pcm.snd_card {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 0
    }

pcm.output {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    ipc_perm 0660 # Sound for everybody in your group!
    slave.pcm "snd_card"

slave {
    # This stuff provides some fixes for latency issues.
    # buffer_size should be set for your audio chipset.
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024
    buffer_size 8192
    }

bindings {
    0 0
    1 1
    }
    }

# Allow reading from the default device.
    # Also known as record or capture.
    pcm.input {
    type dsnoop
    ipc_key 2048
    slave.pcm "snd_card"

## Possible artsd full duplex fix:
    # slave {
    # period_time 0
    # period_size 1024
    # buffer_size 8192
    # }

bindings {
    0 0
    1 1
    }
    }

pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    playback.pcm "output"
    capture.pcm "input"
    }

ctl.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "snd_card"
    }

ctl.mixer0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "snd_card"
    }

pcm.duplex {
    type asym
    playback.pcm "output"
    capture.pcm "input"
    }

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "duplex"
    }
    And save. After that you can try if crackling has disappered or not. This was the solution in my case. I can now play Flash-videos, listen to music and be in TeamSpeak and everything works. I hope that this helps others too.

Notice that you need to have at least ALSA version 1.0.1 because since that version asym-plugin has been included with ALSA. Also notice that this config might not work directly with your sound card: you might need to change some parameters in output-section to get the best quality of sound. Also this might not work if you have pulseaudio installed(i removed it because my friends didn't like quality of sound when using padsp and TeamSpeak ), i'm not sure, but it's possible.

And for Luister: Notice that there might not be that playback-device on all sound cards. I have two computers and in older one there is /dev/adsp device (and before buying this new laptop i used same tactic as you are ), but in my new laptop there isn't. The solution was to use aoss and this config. And for Enemy Territory i recommend this hack: http://nullkey.ath.cx/~stuff/et-sdl-sound/ With this Enemy Territory can play sound through ALSA. It helps a lot

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Luister View Post
    3.- Force TS to use alsa

With this you don't force TeamSpeak to use alsa, because TeamSpeak 2 uses only OSS, however with wrapper like aoss you can make it work "almost" like native ALSA-application. You only make ALSA as default sound server and programs use it if they know how Apparently Teamspeak doesn't but i'm looking forward to TeamSpeak 3 which should support ALSA natively.

EDIT2: And please forgive me if i have spelled something wrong. English isn't my native language
    Last edited by timppa_m; May 3rd, 2008 at 11:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh i really don't get it ^^

aoss teamspeak -> I can perfectly hear, but no microphone
    padsp teamspeak -> kills pulseaudio
    wine set to alsa -> behaves as if it were oss, (only works when it is the only audio program running)
    Code:
    ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:874:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
    err:wave:wodOpen Error open: Device or resource busy
    wine set to oss
    - with aoss: TDSoundOut. Open(DirectSoundCreate): No sound driver is available
    - with padsp: kills pulseaudio

wine set to:
    - sound is completely distorted, just here some noise, and at the end of each sound, it sounds like darth vader breathing, mic doesn't work.

I am still trying, but it's kinda confusing. with padsp it worked once, when 8.04 wasn't released yet. Wine worked too for a time, but also not really stable, i didn't change the configuration yet it stopped working, but that also was while 8.04 was still in developement.

Beans

Ive tried the .asoundrc config file but Teamspeak does not detect a card.

My sound card it s intel ich6.
    I have alsa-oss installed
    everything is set to alsa in my sound config.

Anything i can do to have audio with teamspeak and firefox or other applications?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

padsp wine TeamSpeak.exe has been working for quite a while now for me. I run teamspeak from a (true, non-wine) win xp partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by timppa_m View Post
    For those, who have bad sound quality in TeamSpeak (crackling etc.) when using aoss, this might work, at least it worked for me

-Edit your ~/.asoundrc

(you might want to make backup, if you have already done some tweaking )

Paste this inside ~/.asoundrc:

And save. After that you can try if crackling has disappered or not. This was the solution in my case. I can now play Flash-videos, listen to music and be in TeamSpeak and everything works. I hope that this helps others too.

Notice that you need to have at least ALSA version 1.0.1 because since that version asym-plugin has been included with ALSA. Also notice that this config might not work directly with your sound card: you might need to change some parameters in output-section to get the best quality of sound. Also this might not work if you have pulseaudio installed(i removed it because my friends didn't like quality of sound when using padsp and TeamSpeak ), i'm not sure, but it's possible.

And for Luister: Notice that there might not be that playback-device on all sound cards. I have two computers and in older one there is /dev/adsp device (and before buying this new laptop i used same tactic as you are ), but in my new laptop there isn't. The solution was to use aoss and this config. And for Enemy Territory i recommend this hack: http://nullkey.ath.cx/~stuff/et-sdl-sound/ With this Enemy Territory can play sound through ALSA. It helps a lot

EDIT:
    With this you don't force TeamSpeak to use alsa, because TeamSpeak 2 uses only OSS, however with wrapper like aoss you can make it work "almost" like native ALSA-application. You only make ALSA as default sound server and programs use it if they know how Apparently Teamspeak doesn't but i'm looking forward to TeamSpeak 3 which should support ALSA natively.

EDIT2: And please forgive me if i have spelled something wrong. English isn't my native language
    this worked perfectly for me
    but i made my sound driver /dev/audio
    and of course ran TS as aoss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12