Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: MX5000 Bluetooth Keyboard and MX1000 Laser Mouse Combo in Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

HOWTO: MX5000 Bluetooth Keyboard and MX1000 Laser Mouse Combo in Hardy

I had a ton of problems with this set in Gutsy, but it went much more smoothly in Hardy, so I thought I'd post what I did to get them working just right.

Pairing the Bluetooth Devices
    1. I needed an extra mouse and keyboard to set this up. If you get it working without these, please let me know!
    2. Right click on the bluetooth icon in your notification panel (if your adapter is correctly detected, it should be there), and choose preferences. Go to the "General" tab, and check "Automatically authorize incoming requests".
    3. Click on the "Services" tab, then "input services". A blank box should appear at the bottom.
    4. Click the "add" button. If your mouse is on the list that pops up, select it and click "connect". If not, press the red connection button on the mouse, and it should show up. You might have to press the red button on the mouse several times.
    5. Do the same thing to add the keyboard. This time, a notification will appear with a button to enter your passkey. Click on it, and a box will pop up. On your extra keyboard, type in your passkey. Mine seems to want "3501", but I've heard that "1234" is the default.
    6. The LCD on the keyboard should be prompting you for a passkey. Type in the same number as before, using the number row (not the numpad) and hit Enter.

That's all it took for my keyboard and mouse to start working, even connecting whenever I reboot. However, I wanted to get the buttons on the mouse working just right. I tried using btnx, but I kept on having issues with the thumb button sending the same event as the middle button, so I eventually just went with a slightly modified version of this very useful howto. I'll condense information from that page a little, with a few changes for Hardy.

Configuring the MX1000 mouse and custom buttons
    1. Make sure you have the necessary programs installed:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install xbindkeys xvkbd
    2. To figure out which event controls your mouse, type in:
      Code:
      cat /proc/bus/input/devices
      A number of devices will probably show up. Look through the output until you find something that looks like the MX1000 - on mine, it's:
      Code:
      I: Bus=0005 Vendor=046d Product=b003 Version=4320
      N: Name="Logitech MX1000 mouse"
      P: Phys=00:07:61:7B:33:3D
      S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-2/1-2.1/1-2.1:1.0/hci0/acl00076180018D/input/input14
      U: Uniq=00:07:61:80:01:8D
      H: Handlers=mouse3 event8 
      B: EV=17
      B: KEY=ffff0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      B: REL=143
      B: MSC=10
      The important part of this output is event listed in "Handlers". In my case, it's event8.
    3. Make a backup of xorg.conf:
      Code:
      sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
    4. Open xorg.conf for editing:
      Code:
      gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    5. Delete (or comment out) everything in the section with the identifier "Default Mouse" or "Configured Mouse" (between and including Section "Input Device" ... EndSection)
    6. Add the following lines after your keyboard section:
      Code:
      Section "InputDevice"
      	Identifier	"Logitech MX1000"
      	Driver		"evdev"
      	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/event8" 
      	# If your event handler is something other than event8, 
      	# change it to the appropriate value
      	Option 		"RelHWHEELMapTo"	"Buttons 7 6"
      EndSection
    7. In the "ServerLayout" add:
      Code:
      InputDevice	"Logitech MX1000"	"CorePointer"
      If you don't want the MX1000 to be your Core Pointer, you could change this to "SendCoreEvents" instead.
    8. Save what you've done so far as well as any other work in other programs you have open, and restart X (ctrl + alt + backspace)
    9. If you can log in and use your mouse, all is well so far. Just a few more steps to get the thumb buttons working.
    10. Create a file in your home directory called ".xbindkeysrc", and open it in gedit:
      Code:
      gedit .xbindkeysrc
    11. Paste in the following lines:
      Code:
      "/usr/bin/xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Left]""
        b:8
      "/usr/bin/xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Right]""
        b:9
      Save and close the file.
    12. Code:
      xbindkeys &
    13. If your forward and back buttons work (in firefox, nautilus, Eye of GNOME, etc), then the xbindkeys configuration worked. Vertical and Horizontal scrolling should work without any further configuration (I've tested it in Firefox 3 and Inkscape).
    14. Add xbindkeys to your startup programs (System->Preferences->Sessions)
    15. The little round side button is Button10 (or b:10 in xbindkeys). I map it to the scale plugin in compizconfig-configuration-manager, but you might prefer to map it to something else.

And that should be it. It seems like a fair bit of work, but it actually was easier than in Gutsy.

I hope this is clear - it's my first howto, so any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Edit: if you lose some buttons at start up or get disconnected after some time away, check out puffyzcad's post (#34) for a solution
    Last edited by Curtisc; June 4th, 2008 at 01:32 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: MX5000 Bluetooth Keyboard and MX1000 Laser Mouse Combo in Hardy

Hi,
    I have followed your instructions, and have gotten both the keyboard and mouse to work. I don't have problems with detection upon reboot or logout anymore. However, I still cannot get the thumb buttons to work as back/forward in my browser. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by dhollman View Post
    Hi,
    I have followed your instructions, and have gotten both the keyboard and mouse to work. I don't have problems with detection upon reboot or logout anymore. However, I still cannot get the thumb buttons to work as back/forward in my browser. Any ideas?
    Glad to hear the bluetooth stuff is working for you. As to the thumb buttons, let's try checking to see if xbindkeys is configured properly. Try typing this in:
    Code:
    xbindkeys -k
    When the little window pops up, click on the back button of the mouse. If the output says "Alt + Left", then xbindkeys is configured properly and the problem is somewhere else. If not, please post the output here and we can try to figure it out from there.

Beans

Hi! First of all, thankyou again for this post - it did seem much easier than in 7.10! Secondly, I just thought I'd share with you that I dont actually use the xbindkeys configuration, I use the thumb buttons to initiate the rotation of the desktop cube, and to initiate expo, respectively. Just thought Id share because this is a very useful configuration! I find it is more useful to use the rocker-left and rocker-right motions to navigate backwards and forwards in firefox, and I too use the round button for Scale. Try it out! If you use the cube and expo, that is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by jellygoeswobble View Post
    Hi! First of all, thankyou again for this post - it did seem much easier than in 7.10! Secondly, I just thought I'd share with you that I dont actually use the xbindkeys configuration, I use the thumb buttons to initiate the rotation of the desktop cube, and to initiate expo, respectively. Just thought Id share because this is a very useful configuration! I find it is more useful to use the rocker-left and rocker-right motions to navigate backwards and forwards in firefox, and I too use the round button for Scale. Try it out! If you use the cube and expo, that is.
    Hi! You bring up a very good point - xbindkeys isn't necessary if you want to bind the mouse buttons to compiz functions. I don't actually use multiple desktops (I have a bad habit of forgetting about them), but I can definitely see how those buttons would be useful for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Have you had problems with the connection getting dropped after the devices go idle or after the screensaver is activated? Whenever I step away from my computer for a while, I lose all functionality from both my keyboard and mouse. Only a reboot seems to fix it.

Beans
    Hidden!

I was very excited to see your post since I've been struggling with getting this set up for days. Unfortunately I was unable to get things working with your instructions. Pairing is no problem, but getting the mouse buttons working in still giving me trouble. The thumb button still shows up as button 2 (the scroll wheel button) in xev, and left and right scroll do not show up at all.

The only difference I can see between what we did is that I set my mouse as "SendCoreEvents" and not "CorePointer". I've never gotten things to work properly using the "CorePointer" option. In Hardy my mouse just doesn't move, in previous versions X would crash.

Do you have any advice as to what I should try next? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I finally took the plunge and installed Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron on my HP dv9500t laptop today. The first thing i wanted to do was to get my bluetooth Microsoft Laser Mouse 8000 working since the built in touchpad has sucked since day one.

Thanks for the step by step instructions to bind the mouse to the laptop. all the buttons worked right away and i didnt have to fuss with it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by puffyzacd View Post
    I was very excited to see your post since I've been struggling with getting this set up for days. Unfortunately I was unable to get things working with your instructions. Pairing is no problem, but getting the mouse buttons working in still giving me trouble. The thumb button still shows up as button 2 (the scroll wheel button) in xev, and left and right scroll do not show up at all.

The only difference I can see between what we did is that I set my mouse as "SendCoreEvents" and not "CorePointer". I've never gotten things to work properly using the "CorePointer" option. In Hardy my mouse just doesn't move, in previous versions X would crash.

Do you have any advice as to what I should try next? Thanks!
    I was able to solve my mouse problems by writing a udev rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules:

Code:
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{uniq}=="00:07:61:35:2B:0F", NAME="input/mx1000"
    I believe that ATTRS{uniq} key is the bluetooth address, but you can also find it under your mouse by running

Code:
    cat /proc/bus/input/devices
    The only problem I have now is that my mouse stops working when it goes to sleep...but I'm still working on it. I'll post if I have any success.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: HOWTO: MX5000 Bluetooth Keyboard and MX1000 Laser Mouse Combo in Hardy

OK i did as mentioned in the info in 1st post but no go

Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Driver		"kbd"
    	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
    	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
    	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier      "Logitech MX1000"
            Driver          "evdev"
            Option          "Name"          "Logitech USB RECEIVER"
            Option          "HWHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	InputDevice	"Logitech MX1000"	"CorePointer"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	Screen		"Default Screen"
    EndSection
    Here is my xorg.conf that my mouse not works with

Can someone advise where i am mistaken?

I have wired mouse that works OK, but when i do this both do not work...

I maybe have to remove it?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast