Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VIA Chrome9 Beta Driver Released! WOOT!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: VIA Chrome9 Beta Driver Released! WOOT!

Just got this email from Bruce at VIA today. So for all the rest of the folks like me who bought a cloudbook, it looks like officially supported accelerated drivers for the CX700 are coming next month. YAY!!!! In the mean time it also appears there is a nice xine player that VIA has helped out with to get video playback to smooth out. Its a good time to be running VIA chipsets on linux. The UMPC love affair with small and fast distributions certainly didn't hurt I'm thinking. Anyway, theres the latest news I've received. As far as the How To's and the will it do this or will it do that questions, I don't know yet, the drivers are new, and the only VIA chipset I won is the CX700 in the cloudbook, once that driver ships I will go full out attempting to get it working the way I hope and want it to.

Hello:
    Have you ever tried to run the VeMP http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...=29&DCatType=1 in your system if you can handle the LCD issue? The driver of CX700 for Unbuntu 8.04 is going to be ready for download on May/M. However, I don't think the HW accerlation of MPEG can be supported on this general driver because the license issue.
    Regards

Beans

Cool!

I know the README files says it's for the 8.04 release. Will it work with 7.10??

i take it that this does NOT support the chrome9 hc chipset, or rather that it is not supported yet... correct? in installed and got basically a blank screen. mouse pointer but pretty much and ugly gradient of colors with no login box or desktop after i typed my uname and password.
    silence always serves the oppressor, never the oppressed.

Beans

Hey, I've installed the said driver and have the Chrome9 HC chipset. Full 3D graphics (3d cube, etc) are working. However, only on my external display. Nothing appears on my laptop screen, even when external device is disconnected. Any help with this?

Should mention I'm using Ubuntu 8.04, and on XP this works fine.

Beans
    Hidden!

This driver worked great before this past week, when I installed the update for the kernel to 2.6.24-17. Yes, I understand that I have to reinstall the driver after kernel updates, and I did that. But anything using gl (like compiz, or even running glxinfo) crashes the x server now.

Any ideas?

Edit:
    Discovered the solution: the driver modules weren't built for the current kernel version, and I needed to add
    Code:
    -f via_agp
    -f drm
    -f via_chrome9
    to /etc/modules in order to get things working again.
    Last edited by gnuslov; June 10th, 2008 at 04:57 AM. Reason: solution

Beans

you know which one of the four files i have to download to install a VN800 ?
    please...

Beans

Just writing in a quick reply to say that the driver worked perfectly for me on my VIA SN-1000EG.

Beans

Hi hi have i fujitsu amilo 3515, with via chrome 9, i install via driver whit sucess but when a restar my computer the login screen turns black, and i hear the starting sound. i tried every drive in via linux page, and none of the driver worked.

Here is my lspci
    00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A PCI to ISA Bridge
    00:11.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8251 Ultra VLINK Controller
    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 7c)
    00:13.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A Host Bridge
    00:13.1 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A PCI to PCI Bridge
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Chrome9 HC IGP (rev 01)
    04:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA High Definition Audio Controller (rev 10)
    05:01.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR2413 802.11bg NIC (rev 01)

Can anybody helps me

Thank YOu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by gnuslov View Post
    This driver worked great before this past week, when I installed the update for the kernel to 2.6.24-17. Yes, I understand that I have to reinstall the driver after kernel updates, and I did that. But anything using gl (like compiz, or even running glxinfo) crashes the x server now.

Any ideas?

Edit:
    Discovered the solution: the driver modules weren't built for the current kernel version, and I needed to add
    Code:
    -f via_agp
    -f drm
    -f via_chrome9
    to /etc/modules in order to get things working again.
    Thank you so much for this!
    i am new to linux and couldnt find the solution to this, and not good with english and had a hard time finding out how to formulate the question

again, Thanks!

Beans

Howdy,
    I'm running the beta drivers now with chrome9 HC. I can get full 3d rendering with compiz to work...temporarily. Compiz usually crashes within a few minute of loading. Anyone know how I can stop this? Your help would be appreciated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast