Thread: How do I get the keyboard layout to change while left control is pressed?

Beans

How do I get the keyboard layout to change while left control is pressed?

I want to use a dvorak layout with qwerty shortcuts, like ctrl+c, so I'd like the keyboard layout to change just while the left ctrl key is pressed. How can I do this?

Beans

Re: How do I get the keyboard layout to change while left control is pressed?

Menu: System, Preferences, Keyboard:
    2nd tab: Layouts
    Add
    In "Layout" pick your country
    In "Variants" pick Dvorak.

In "Layout Options..." choose the keys you want.
    Done.

Beans

That's the right sort of thing I'm looking for but the menu has no option for left ctrl.

Beans

Hi,

you really need to look around a bit more by yourself or you will not have much fun with Ubuntu.

In Layout Options,
    goto Layout Switching.
    3rd from the bottom of that list is
    "Left Ctrl key changes layout"

Voila!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by janmartin View Post
    Hi,

you really need to look around a bit more by yourself or you will not have much fun with Ubuntu.

In Layout Options,
    goto Layout Switching.
    3rd from the bottom of that list is
    "Left Ctrl key changes layout"

Voila!
    That changes layouts with one press of the ctrl key. I want to change layouts while the ctrl is pressed, a bit like you make capitals letters when the shift key is pressed. The option for other keys are there, but not left ctrl.

Beans

Anyone, this is a major annoyance and really stops me using the dvorak layout. Please help.

Beans

Yes this problem is annoying. I'm surprised other Dvorak users have not found a solution to this.

Beans

This is ridiculous, it seems to be the most logical option and the only one not to be included. Why hasn't it been added yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed, please don't bump old threads.