Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ...upper memory...

Beans

Re: ...upper memory...

I believe that this is a Gate A20 issue in fact:

http://www.google.com/search?q=grub4dos+"Turning+on+gate+A20"

Beans

Unfortunately this looks like a gate A20 issue. And that means that your machine/bios is not supported by grub4dos. The only solution at this stage is to use proper grub 0.97, which means you have to do a full installation from CD and cannot use wubi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ahh. ok. I kind of figured being that it is an older dell machine I was testing wubi on. Thanks for your help. I guess I'll need to repartition my hard drives. Oh well. Good thing Ubuntu made that easy. I really wanted to test wubi out too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I hope a new version of grub4dos will work later on.

Beans

I too have been having this same problem with a dell. I want to use grub 0.97, but I can't seem to figure out where to get it from? The ubuntu website only seems to allow downloads of the cd image I have...can somebody link me or explain how I can get/use grub 0.97?

Thanks

Beans

As mentioned, if you have an upper memory error or a gate A20 error, it means you cannot use wubi on your machine.

You can still try Ubuntu via the live CD (read only) and install it using the CD. As part of the Ubuntu installation you will also get grub 0.97.

To tell the full story, it is possible to install grub 0.97 separately and even make it work with Wubi. But it would be quite a complex operation. Best route is to go for a full installation using the CD.

Beans

how to make an original old 0.97 version of grldr?

here is it.

1. compile gnu grub 0.97 and you will get the pre_stage2 file.

2. compile grub4dos latest and get the grldrstart file

3. cat grldrstart pre_stage2 > grldr

in step 3, the grldrstart is from the grub4dos and the pre_stage2 is from old gnu grub 0.97. Then the ending grldr can be used normally, except you have to use original grub commands only and the extensions by grub4dos cannot function.

if you succeeded in this way, please drop a line.

Note: you will or won't encounter problems when you try to change the menu.lst pre-set in this GRLDR. Don't try to change the name of GRLDR, nor anything else of GRLDR, because you only try to experiment with this GRLDR. if you can see a grub prompt and enter commands, then we consider this as a success.
    Last edited by tinybit; April 27th, 2008 at 01:07 AM.

Beans

Actually, there is no need to recompile, you can use loadbin utility to create boot files for GNU GRUB. Please extract the files in the attachment and put them in C:\, then, add the following lines at the end of C:\boot.ini:

C:\grub.mbr="GRUB"
    C:\grub2.mbr="GRUB2"

After reboot, you will see the two extra menu item in the nt boot loader. If all goes well, you will go into console mode with the grub> prompt.

Note: if you use vista, there is no boot.ini, you need to set the boot menu using bcdedit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I've the ...upper memory... problem after installing wubu and rebooting, selecting ubuntu

i followed suggesting in earlier posting and i can see grub and grub2 in boot options.

now what ..? i want to load ubuntu.

Beans

copy the c:\ubuntu\winboot\menu.lst to c:\ and try to reboot
    That uses find --set-root and from the above it looks like it may fail ("you have to use original grub commands only and the extensions by grub4dos cannot function").

If it fails copy c:\ubuntu\install\boot\grub\menu.lst to c:\

But you have to replace all the lines that start with "find --set-root" with

root (hdX,Y)

X indicates the disk number -1, and Y the partition number -1. You have to put appropriate numbers to point to the partition where you installed Wubi.
    Last edited by ago; April 27th, 2008 at 11:40 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast