Page 168 of 179 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1784

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

I followed this guide to the T, and have now disabled the ATI driver. When I do this and reboot, I get this pretty Ubuntu Studio Blue and white wheel with the animation. Very nice and then of course the usual Ubuntu Studio sign in. However, when I do activate the ATI file:
    ati-driver-installer-11-3-x86.x86_64.run
    I restart and get the off blk/red simple screen with simple terminal Ubuntu 10.10 with the white dots animation.

Also when I go to the configure display settings menu, before I activate the ATI driver, it shows the monitor type, however when the ATI is activated, the monitors shown is listed as unknown.

Of course above all this, WoW doesnt run. It works better with the ATI setting, but the disembodied armor makes playing impossible, not to mention the settings are nothing better than Fair and a few settings are disabled without being able to select them.

When I run WoW with the disabled ATI, it is very sluggish almost to a stand-still however the login screen, all the graphics are there, just they take forever to animate.

Please, there has got to be a solution to this. If you need me to print out something, let me know and I will post it. It's not like I can take this pc into a shop and they fix it. I may have to go to windows, which I hate to do because some of the aspects of Ubuntu are great, but I dont have that much free time to diagnose simple things that should work.

Please someone help...Ill list my hardware so that you have that at least.

Sean

Processor AMD Phenom II 1090T, OCZ BE 4 Gig, OCZ 800w ps, H50 cooling system, Nzxt M59 case, M4A89GTD PRO/usb 3, XFX Radeon HD5770, WD Caviar BE 1 TB HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Has anyone used this on Bodhi Linux?

Wondering if there are any special caveats I should consider.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-freak View Post
    Did you add the Medibuntu repo to your list of sources? Check that it isn't disabled for some reason. Then perhaps try the commands to fix broken packages etc below the "Essential Packages" section in Part 1.

P.S. Are you trying out Natty?
    I was able to get it installed after I did a sudo apt-get update and tried the command again. Thanks anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    Has anyone used this on Bodhi Linux?

Wondering if there are any special caveats I should consider.

heh james i just did this on my bodhi and so far i have had no problems, big learning curve setting bodhi up, with the apps i want, but i also have Ultimate edition and OzUnity to use if i stuff it up. and if i stuff it i will just install again over the top

good luck
    Daz
    When all is said and done, this is the only life you have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

God help me, i see i will be spending many hours reading and pounding my head against a wall to get java, flash players to work on web pages like YAHOO and MNSBC etc.......sigh ( i just loaded up Ubunto 11.04 and am new to the o.s.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by rick-ster View Post
    God help me, i see i will be spending many hours reading and pounding my head against a wall to get java, flash players to work on web pages like YAHOO and MNSBC etc.......sigh ( i just loaded up Ubunto 11.04 and am new to the o.s.)

Hi there rick, welcome to the land of ubuntu, I too was a noobie a couple of years ago, but really it is not as daunting as you may think... but if you want to get things working with music vid, flash and java just follow the instructions on the very first page.
    it easy, very easy to copy and paste into a terminal.

have you found a terminal yet. simple way is to click on Applications / Accessories / terminal

mate all this stuff really works, and you will be able to watch and copy any DVD from any where and play any music format

the beauty of linux is that you can do anything in computing, learning about it is the challenge.

you can customize ubuntu to look and feel and work just the way you want it if you want to learn it

ubuntu forums and the "how to's" are really good to learn all kinds of things and if you have any problems, just search for it on hear (coz chances are somebody has had the same problem already)

this forum is vast and ubuntu community will help you reasonably quickly.........

Now having said all that ..... if you want to try ubuntu with ALL the BELLS and WHISTLES already installed and ready to go look up these 2 distros - Ultimate Edititon or Oz Unity goto ultimateeditionoz.com and have a look around i promise you it is well worth it, everything works and visually stunning with all the 3d compiz effect already enabled.
    UE 2.9 and Oz Unity are ubuntu 10.10 with lots of extras
    UE 3.0 and Oz Unity 2 are about to be released very soon

one piece of advice when installing ubuntu or any linux os

have a wired connection to internet to start things off (just for initial install and setup so you can install wireless drivers)
    1st thing install wireless and graphics drivers- under system / Admin /additional drivers (dont try install anything else yet)
    Reboot / restart computer

everytime you install new software or do a system update - restart computer - it keeps file system in better shape and helps keep any gremlins at bay.

Good luck and have FUN and wave goodbye to *******
    Last edited by dazndom; May 14th, 2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: to say goodbye to windows
    When all is said and done, this is the only life you have.

Beans

I have a new installation of Hardy 64bit which I installed on a new box and then basically upgraded to kde4 Kubuntu. I am now having problems getting flash media to play online. This has worked in the past but this is the first time playing in the 64 bit sandbox for me. I am using the regular xorg ati driver with the built in Radeon 3200 graphics on the MB; the fglrx driver gave me artifacts. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Most excellent tutorial - everything worked amazingly well - thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I pass along my many thanks to ubuntu-freak, from the UK.
    Your "Guide" has many features to provide as a constructive example of support material for others.

For one point, you segregate specific instructions for different versions of Ubuntu which keeps the information easy to find and relevant for one's specific release.

Secondly, you suggest and request "test" points to confirm the validity and the applicability of each of many sections as the participant enacts certain scripts/instructions or installation routines.

Thirdly, you provide options for troubleshooting any problems present or new to arise.

Fourth, you provide an opportunity to add other features and applications which you personally have found to be of considerable benefit.

There are so many solution posters who miss some or all of these points to often create even more complex and frustrating problems than those originally presented .. may they consider your more balanced presentation.

I DID find an additional and related difficulty to this issue and I have included a note of my findings and resolution below.
    Added Note:
    In Ubuntu 10.04, on a Dell C521, going to
    System/Administration/Software Sources/Ubuntu Software tab ... and
    selecting Download from: "Server for Canada" (2011-06-01)
    has resulted in half as many resources being detected (27), and many of those failing"
    vs leaving the setting as "Main Server" which resulted in 54 resources being successfully accessed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by dazndom View Post
    heh james i just did this on my bodhi and so far i have had no problems, big learning curve setting bodhi up, with the apps i want
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rick-ster View Post
    God help me, i see i will be spending many hours reading and pounding my head against a wall to get java, flash players to work on web pages like YAHOO and MNSBC etc
    Fortunately, that's probably not going to be the case. I use this how-to on every build I do now. It's really well layed-out and easy to follow. Just open your terminal and prepare your copy/paste muscles. Should only take maybe ten minutes and typically there will be no issues.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Page 168 of 179 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178 ... LastLast