Page 71 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    In order to get the cube to work I need to install the nvidia-glx driver. The last time I did this I lost my high resolution. Any idea why? What can I do about it?
    There's a section in part 5 which deals with screen resolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The Flash 10 Release Candidate is out. I installed it the same way you instructed to install the other betas, with success. Navigating through very flash-heavy sites is a bit jumpy still, but fullscreen playback has been improved to an astonishing degree. No crashes yet either, so I'd definitely recommend this, it's at least as good as beta 1 and possibly surpasses it with aforementioned fullscreen performance.

Thanks so much for the guide, by the way. I can't remember if I've said that yet.

EDIT: Some sites are giving me weird glitches in non-fullscreen video playback. Some examples are on mydamnchannel.com or platformerupdate.com (for the latter, scroll down to the fez teaser video). On some players, things like the volume slider keep blinking on and off, and in others the video itself may be partially obscured. I'd love to know that it's just my system, but that may not be the case. Other sites are working swimmingly, though.
    Last edited by DancemasterGlenn; August 13th, 2008 at 04:54 AM. Reason: after more testing...

Beans

I've just tried to install the flash player 10 release candidate as I get real poor flash performance.

Only when I try to run the selection of commands you give in your guide I get the following error.........

Code:
    *** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: libcurl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
    I'm running 8.04 64bit
    SYSTEM SPECS: Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop. CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500@2.20GHz. MEM: 2GB. GFX: Nvidia 8600M GT. SND: Intel 82180H HD Audio Controller NET: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AG, BCM4401 Ethernet SCREEN: 1680x1050 OS: Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 64 bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roger99 View Post
    I've just tried to install the flash player 10 release candidate as I get real poor flash performance.

Only when I try to run the selection of commands you give in your guide I get the following error.........

Code:
    *** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: libcurl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
    I'm running 8.04 64bit
    I have the same problem on 8.04 64 bit as well. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by roger99 View Post

Code:
    I'm running 8.04 64bit

Try the following command:

sudo rm -f /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/* && sudo apt-get purge nspluginwrapper && sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Then try that command again in the troubleshooting section to purge and install Flash Player manually.

If you still get an error, then it would seem that nspluginwrapper doesn't work with Flash Player v10 RC just yet. Perhaps the Intrepid version will work better, but I can't test that out until tomorrow or maybe later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,
    Thanks for the comprehensive multimedia "How to". It has been very helpful for me... I still have small glitches but that I will be asking once I do more testing of the installed programs/plugins etc. Currently, I face problem with streaming live TV/video etc. Although it comes fine but every few second or a minute after, the streaming stops... Sometimes it starts again whereas other times it won't unless I read... I don't face the same problem when I stream the same channel/video in Windows Vista.. I would really appreciate if you help me with this... I have followed you "How To" completely (for Ubuntu Hardy Heron 32 Bit).
    Thank you once again...

Beans

I have been following the guide on the installation without any errors but one. It was Configuring sun-java6-jre and gave me a license to read with an OK at the bottom of the screen but that is where it is stuck. I can not click or highlight and hit enter to get beyond that screen. Need a little assistance, I know it must be something simple on my part.

Solved, should have hit tab. Enter didn't show the other OK on bottom of Screen. Continuing on.
    Last edited by speed32219; August 15th, 2008 at 05:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This guide is a life-saver (though not as tasty as Life-Savers, maybe next version?)!

I had to re-install Hardy 32 bit and went through the guide again, it's always been flawless with Hardy in the past. It all worked as usual but I have one weird problem. Vlc will not play DVDs normally. If I try to open a dvd with vlc nothing happens. But if I open vlc through the CLI it will play the dvd.

Can anyone help me please?

Beans

I had video working great following these steps on Hardy Heron, but then later on I broke it and it caused all video to run in slow motion. I then went back and did:

# sudo apt-get update
    # sudo apt-get --purge remove non-free-codecs
    # sudo apt-get install non-free-codecs

...and the problem was resolved.
    SuperMike
    When in doubt, follow the penguins.
    Evil Kitty is watching you

Beans

WOW !!! This article needs to be a desktop shortcut on all future releases. And the repositories and applications need to be installed / enabled with Desktop Ubuntu. Thank you, thank you ubuntu-freak

And I have some observations for whoever decides what repositories and what applications are included in a release.

Heron is advertised to "Just Work". It does NOT. I've had to tweak and TS like crazy and download all kinds of non-standard tools to get it to "Just Work" especially WiFi (YES, I've got a copy of the Wifi troubleshooting guide)

But tweaking is OK for me, as I'm a geek, been one a long time. But non-techies cannot be expected to cruise the forums to get basic stuff like video and Wifi working.

Why is device manager not included in the release?? Many people coming from the ******* environment are used to TS-ing using Device Manager. But with Ubuntu, you have to:

1. Figure out that there IS NO device manager installed. There USED to be, why was it deleted?
    2. Figure out what package it is you need to install
    3. Find and install it with Synaptic.

Why make it so hard? A device manager is a basic utility these days.

Again HURRAY to ubunut-freak for creating this hugely valuable document. It needs to be easy to find reading in every version of Ubuntu (Include in the help file ??)

Page 71 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast