Page 9 of 179 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

Hello Nathan, I have followed the instructions to gfet mplayer, VLC , JAVA etc. working, but I am getting noner stop error messages, either dependencies or broken packages message and I didnt manage to configure a single package yet. I have also installed some software using the synaptic manager, but I cannot find any of the installed software.Please advise what to do. I have gutsy, but how do i find out if i have 32 or 64 but version?? thanx thor
    Last edited by thornado; April 28th, 2008 at 11:32 PM.

Beans

Does my signature look odd?
    links are now displayed in a lighter shade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    links are now displayed in a lighter shade

Well that just sucks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thornado View Post
    Hello Nathan, I have followed the instructions to gfet mplayer, VLC , JAVA etc. working, but I am getting noner stop error messages, either dependencies or broken packages message and I didnt manage to configure a single package yet. I have also installed some software using the synaptic manager, but I cannot find any of the installed software.Please advise what to do. I have gutsy, but how do i find out if i have 32 or 64 but version?? thanx thor

Try the commands in the "Did You Have Errors?" section in part 1. The "dist-upgrade" one should fix any broken packages.

Did you install Ubuntu yourself? It's more than likely you have the 32-Bit version. Have a look at System>About Ubuntu.

Nathan

P.S. Make sure you enabled the Medibuntu repo also, remembering to change the word "hardy" to "gutsy" in the first wget command.

Nathan
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; April 29th, 2008 at 12:03 AM.

Beans

I wish i found this guide before trying all the others on the internet!!

Thank you very much, keep up the good work

Zars

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Not usre if this really belongs inthis thread or not - please move it if it doesn't. While trying the googleearth install in this tutorial i wound up eventually generating the following error messages:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I'm a newbie running Hardy and I was following the instructions when something wanted me to check off that I agreed, but didn't show the check box. After it sat a while, I went on to the Firefox streaming section and got several iterations of the "dpkg interrupted" error and others relating to the inablility to lock something.performed the requested commands, and eventually rebooted at which point the program ran all the way through and I could sign off.

Next I tried the googleearth installation and ran into a lot of problems. After closing the terminal, I received notification of googleearth-4.2 ready to install, and tried to install it. I got some more error mesages relating to locking and tried another reboot. After the reboot, I tried the googleearth-4.2 install and got the above error messages.

It says "please report" and I'm not sure where and to whom, so this is an attempt at initiating that.

Also, I'd like to find out how tofind out what is hung and causing these "locking" problems and how to get it unstuck.
    Last edited by goggins; April 29th, 2008 at 04:46 AM. Reason: This problem resolved itself somehow upon yet another attempt to install the update.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Do these trailers work?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/

Do for me. Try rebooting if you still have problems.

Nathan

New day. Same problem
    The trailers work fine. I tried rebooting but I still get the streamer on this radio site to startup (writes "connecting to switch3.castup.net") and after a few seconds it stops (and prompts "stopped" at the lower bar).

I don't think that it's a proxy/connectivity issue as I work with two operating systems on my PC and it works fine with windows-firefox combination.

I'll be glad if I could fix it (I prefer working with linux but it's a bummer to sit in the office all day w/o music).

Thanks,
    Xris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello, and thank you a lot for this how to. Everything was working fine on my computer (Dell laptop with hardy heron), the one thing I didn't manage to get working is the nbatv website. It used to work on a clean feisty install and ever since upgrading to gutsy and now hardy, hasn't been able to watch a video. For example, I give you the link underneath :

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.ph...&secondClick=1

The advertisement launches and then not the video. It is quite slow but still better than before when it used to launch the video and freeze on the first image.

Any ideas ?
    Every morning when I wake up, I ask myself: "What would I do if I wasn't so dumb ?" !

...and then, one morning () ... I dumped Windows ! =D>

Beans
    Distro

If most sites stream fine with Gecko Media Player, but not a certain site you're interested in, post in the GMP group:

http://groups.google.com/group/gecko-mediaplayer

Not sure how lively it is, just found it. Here is the homepage for GMP also:

http://dekorte.homeip.net/download/gecko-mediaplayer/

Nathan

P.S. Make sure you don't have RealPlayer's plugin installed and anything other than Adobe Flash.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; April 29th, 2008 at 01:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Took a while, but I've sent private messages to those who followed my how-to before the big update to the streaming section.

It's really worth using Gecko Media Player in Hardy. Gecko is the engine of browsers such as Firefox and Epiphany, incase you wondered.

Nathan

Page 9 of 179 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast