Page 61 of 179 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

I didn't have Flash installed (I thought I did). With flash installed my media problems seem to have disappeared. Thanks to all.

Beans

I'm having a small problem. I had to reinstall Hardy and I began following the how-to. I did part one and then later I decided to install the flash 10 beta. I followed the instructions but now when I go to youtube or anything that uses flash I'm told that I need the flash plugin.

Another issue I'm having is with streaming video. My solution is most likely in this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=500 but I don't understand what reassuringlyoffensive means by "DO NOT let Update Manager upgrade your system during this process" How do I not let the update manager upgrade my system? Is there a command to use or a certain keystroke?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Jenga-kun View Post
    I'm having a small problem. I had to reinstall Hardy and I began following the how-to. I did part one and then later I decided to install the flash 10 beta. I followed the instructions but now when I go to youtube or anything that uses flash I'm told that I need the flash plugin.

Another issue I'm having is with streaming video. My solution is most likely in this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=500 but I don't understand what reassuringlyoffensive means by "DO NOT let Update Manager upgrade your system during this process" How do I not let the update manager upgrade my system? Is there a command to use or a certain keystroke?
    What browser are you using for Flash? Are you a 32-bit or 64-bit user? Do other sites display Flash properly? Might be worth downgrading to v9 for a while.

How do you not let Update Manager upgrade your system? Just don't click "Install Updates" while you have the Intrepid repos, that's all.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VanEyck View Post
    I followed you how-to a couple of weeks ago, and everything worked great (although I'm having trouble backing up DVDs - but that's for another time). I wanted to thank you again for the how-to.

My issue now is that the new medibuntu codecs are not updating properly. When I run upgrade manager, it cannot find the medibuntu repositories. I'm certain this is a quick fix, but I don't know how to fix it.
    Try the section in my how-to which suggests changing your sources from "http" to "ftp". You definitely added the Medibuntu repo yeah? You can check in System > Administration > Software Sources > Third Party Software.

Beans

Thanks very much for your well written instructions. I am now able to watch You Tube etc.but have run into a bit of a problem. All my Gnome games have gone from the add/remove list. When I try to install any of them I receive a message telling me that it conflicts with something that is installed and that I should go to Synaptic to resolve the conflict. When I look at Synaptic I can't see how I can resolve it.
    What happens is that when I try to install Gnome games I receive a message telling me that there are Unresolvable dependancies and gnome-games-data Depends:gnome-cards-data (<1:2.23 but 1:2.23.5 is to be installed

After following your instructions to get the Video Clips resolved when I re-started there were two messages telling me that something wouldn't load and asked did I want to delete them. I rather stupidly said yes so I suspect it maybe that thats causing the problem with the games.
    I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    Last edited by digf; July 25th, 2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Extra info re the problem

Beans

Thank you, this was very helpful. It now feels like everything works as it should.
    Last edited by Torsion; July 25th, 2008 at 04:21 AM.

Beans

I posted on another post but no one has responded. I followed this tutorial and have pretty much everything working, except for the videos on apple trailers. I hear the volume and the video doesnt work. I even followed the information in that single post that details changing all instances of hardy to intrepid and updating it, and changing it back, etc. Is there anything else I can do?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by digf View Post
    Thanks very much for your well written instructions. I am now able to watch You Tube etc.but have run into a bit of a problem. All my Gnome games have gone from the add/remove list. When I try to install any of them I receive a message telling me that it conflicts with something that is installed and that I should go to Synaptic to resolve the conflict. When I look at Synaptic I can't see how I can resolve it.
    What happens is that when I try to install Gnome games I receive a message telling me that there are Unresolvable dependancies and gnome-games-data Depends:gnome-cards-data (<1:2.23 but 1:2.23.5 is to be installed

After following your instructions to get the Video Clips resolved when I re-started there were two messages telling me that something wouldn't load and asked did I want to delete them. I rather stupidly said yes so I suspect it maybe that thats causing the problem with the games.
    I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks

The following command should fix that:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by diego898 View Post
    I posted on another post but no one has responded. I followed this tutorial and have pretty much everything working, except for the videos on apple trailers. I hear the volume and the video doesnt work. I even followed the information in that single post that details changing all instances of hardy to intrepid and updating it, and changing it back, etc. Is there anything else I can do?

You only have that issue with Quicktime videos? I'd usually suggest disabling desktop effects, or changing your video output to x11, which is mentioned in the troubleshooting section.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is an excellent post which has helped me greatly.
    Although I did have some problems with the apple trailers after installing the gecko mediaplayer. Rather than using the method you suggested I used a different method to get it working.

I had previously seen an archlinux forum post which suggested altering a line in the pluginreg.dat file
    from QuickTime Plug-in 6.0 / 7:$
    to QuickTime Plug-in 7 / 7:$

This worked for me when I was using mplayer and am happy to say it is working now for the gecko mediaplayer. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this?

Thanks for you help.

Page 61 of 179 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast