Type
    Code:
     ffmpeg -formats
    This will show you what formats your version of ffmpeg
    can decode (D) and encode (E).

Look for a line that says
    Code:
     DE amr             3gpp amr file format
    I don't have any experience with this format, but it looks like if your ffmpeg is like mine, you should be able to encode in 3gpp format. Change .3gp to .3gpp in your ffmpeg command to try this.

You might also want to try mp4, and wmv formats since the documentation says the phone can handle these formats, and they are video formats as well.

For example, perhaps try
    Code:
    ffmpeg -sameq -i filename.flv filename.wmv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Quote Originally Posted by persistentstubborn View Post
    Many thanks for the update. I wonder if you could help me regarding conversion of .flv from youtube to my son's sonyericsson w610i on Ubuntu 8.10 (never managed on 8.04 either).

I've followed howto, but haven't fetched sources from repositories (neither ubuntu nor medibuntu). Conversions (8.04) from flv to any phone format (supposedly .3gp, that works in his phone) produced files that mostly didn't have sound on PC while did have sound but no video on phone. I've tried both WinFF and Avidemux (according to the instructions here) and I've tried many formats (3gp, mp4, 3g2, avi)

Now I updated to 8.10, fetched sources (both ubuntu and medibuntu), the result is the same. WinFF always complains about EVERY codec as "unknown encoder" (h263, h264,xvid,mspeg4, etc). I've marked both ffmpeg and avidemux for reinstallation, but the result is the same. Should I remove them and try installing from source, as per these instructions from ffmpeg?

Many thanks in advance for your response that I hope will be simple since I'm not able to follow complicated advice these days (health issues), but still want to feature myself in front of my son.

Did you upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid, or install Intrepid fresh? If you merely upgraded from Hardy, the problem could be that you originally installed the restricted version of FFmpeg, by that I mean you may have installed it before you added the Medibuntu repository, where the unrestricted version resides.

I have a SE W810i and have converted numerous videos for my phone using WinFF, by selecting 3G2, then renaming the extension to 3GP after the conversion is complete.

Make sure the Medibuntu repo is added to your sources, then try:

sudo apt-get purge ffmpeg && sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

If that doesn't work, either remove it again and compile FFmpeg yourself, or install Intrepid fresh and add the Medibuntu repo before you try to install FFmpeg.

Beans

I installed Intrepid a few days ago and found trouble viewing videos on just a few sites. I tried a number of suggested solutions to no avail. I followed the initial instructions on this thread with no obvious errors. But my problem still persists. I can get video on all sites, but 2 that i've run across so far. They worked before my new install (i was running 7.10)

1. Justin.tv
    none of the selections work. the loading icon just keeps spinning.
    http://www.justin.tv/directory?category=sports

2. cbs.com the older videos they have available. i just get a black screen.
    here's a page where none of the selections will work for me:
    http://www.cbs.com/classics/the_twilight_zone/index.php

I'm assuming there are more sites where this problem will show up, but these are the ones i've come across since the upgrade.
    Your help is appreciated.

Beans

I just tried using this guide: http://t0x.in/medibuntu.html

But I got an error trying to install w32codecs...

Code:
    ian@ian-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install w32codecs
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package w32codecs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package w32codecs has no installation candidate
    w64codecs installs fine it seems.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Complete Multimedia & Video How-to

Quote Originally Posted by starryeyedboy View Post
    thank you for such a comprehensive guide... really really helped a lot - answered a billion questions n issues =) thanks!!!

Could not agree more, Fantastic, Thank You

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unutbu View Post
    For example, perhaps try
    Code:
    ffmpeg -sameq -i filename.flv filename.wmv
    Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-freak View Post
    Did you upgrade from Hardy ...
    Make sure the Medibuntu repo is added to your sources, then try:

sudo apt-get purge ffmpeg && sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

If that doesn't work, either remove it again and compile FFmpeg yourself, or install Intrepid fresh and add the Medibuntu repo before you try to install FFmpeg.
    Thank you both for your valuable help.

I was upgrading all the way from 7.04 to 8.10.

A strange issue occurred when I purged ffmpeg (and winff and a bunch of other stuff as dependencies) - /etc/resolv.conf was purged. I think I downloaded binary from medibuntu repositories. Therefore my present decision is to compile ffmpeg from source and forget winff. I'll probably take it from medibuntu repositories, and report (hopefully successful) results here, presumably during the course of this week, so others might get some benefit of your advice and my time, too.

Again, many thanks.
    Last edited by persistentstubborn; November 3rd, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by persistentstubborn View Post
    Thank you both for your valuable help.

I was upgrading all the way from 7.04 to 8.10.

A strange issue occurred when I purged ffmpeg (and winff and a bunch of other stuff as dependencies) - /etc/resolv.conf was purged. I think I downloaded binary from medibuntu repositories. Therefore my present decision is to compile ffmpeg from source and forget winff. I'll probably take it from medibuntu repositories, and report (hopefully successful) results here, presumably during the course of this week, so others might get some benefit of your advice and my time, too.

Again, many thanks.

If I were you, I'd install Intrepid fresh. Technically, it should be fine to just keep ugrading from version to version, but in reality that's not always the case, especially for desktop users.

Why forget about WinFF? It's just a GUI frontend for FFmpeg, so when you have the latter working as it should, WinFF won't give you those errors. You may still get errors when encoding AMR audio, but AMR is worse than crappy anyway.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; November 3rd, 2008 at 01:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mrebus View Post
    I had this exact same problem.
    I think I have the same problem. After upgrading to Ubuntu 8.10 and attempting to run

sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflash-mozplugin libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-pitfdll libavcodec-unstripped-51 libmp3lame0 non-free-codecs sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package gnash is not installed, so not removed
    Package gnash-common is not installed, so not removed
    E: Couldn't find package libflash-mozplugin

Where do I find the "libflash-mozplugin" package?

At the moment BBC iplayer works on some things, but not on all, and I think that this problem would be solved if the "sudo apt-get ...." script above would completely run through, rather than stopping at "libflash-mozplugin" package.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I solved my problem of running the script mentioned in the previous thread.

When I went through the System>Administration>Software sources page, I ticked off the boxes, but they were not saved when I canceled out from the page. A close and save button would have been helpful here. By clicked on the larger page outside the small page the tick marks have been saved, and the extra software sources became available to me.

Now that the script has run through, I still do not got the "Listen Live" sound for BBC iplayer. I get a box with the details of the program I want to listen to, but no sound.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

thank once more lad, i got everything working, nearly out of the box, only with the simple commands you instructed. vlc rocks!

i had never gotten dvd 100% on lin before.
    i wonder if streaming of quicktime and realplayer is also, as simple.

cheers

Page 90 of 179 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast