Page 39 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    What graphics card do you have? Do desktop effects not work either?

Odd how it says you need MPlayer even though you do have MPlayer. Try removing gecko-mediaplayer and install mozilla-mplayer, then use the settings from "Option 1"

Nathan
    I will try ASAP and I'll get back with the results

I use ATI x1400 and 3d effects from compiz works flawlessly (almost -> Google Earth is flickering).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Balinus View Post
    I will try ASAP and I'll get back with the results

I use ATI x1400 and 3d effects from compiz works flawlessly (almost -> Google Earth is flickering).

Is it the proprietary driver or the open driver you're using? Xvideo playback should work if you disable effects, x11 is no good for HQ video.

There will be new ATI drivers in 8.04.1, so if it's the proprietary driver you're using, Xv should work with effects by then. If you're using open drivers, report or confirm an existing bug at launchpad.com.

Nathan

Beans

Yeah, rename the deb to "winff.deb" and use the command intended for 64-bit users to force the installation.

Nathan
    Thanks - that worked

Beans

Question Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

Hi! Thanks for the guide, reassuringlyoffensive, it saved me a lot of time and nerves. Though I have an annoying problem, that I can't find solution to - After three-five minutes of DVD playback screen slowly fades away and screensaver comes on.
    I have ThinkPad T23(PIII 1.2, 1GB, S3 SuperSavage 16MB), Ubuntu 8.04LTS. Ubuntu installed w/o any problems, when was following your guide also didn't have any troubles. Set VLC as default player. In VLC I've changed only default keymappings and turned on deinterlacing by default. Maybe I don't pay enough attention, but cant find option about screensaver suppression. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Balinus View Post
    Humm... works great for most of the sites. However, my main streaming website does not work.

Can someone play this streaming?

http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite/v2/La_zone/

Click on the archives (calendar on the left) to play something.

Mplayer seems to be well installed. I did all the steps provided in the 1st post and they all worked fine. I have 8.04.

Thanks for any help!

I didn't have much luck with this site either. What format are they? Perhaps RealPlayer 11 would work, but I'm not really interested in adding it to my how-to just yet. You can actually disable Real Media playback in Gecko Media Player by, right-clicking on a video window and going into it's preferences, then perhaps RealPlayer 10 (link in my how-to) would work for that site.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Larss View Post
    Can anyone play the videos on this site?
    http://www.tv2.no/sporten/fotball/ti...cle1952354.ece

Have gone through the guide, but cant get these clips to work. It just says connecting, then 0:00.

edit: Click the images to get to the video.
    No, didn't work for me either.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MooNWalker View Post
    Hi! Thanks for the guide, reassuringlyoffensive, it saved me a lot of time and nerves. Though I have an annoying problem, that I can't find solution to - After three-five minutes of DVD playback screen slowly fades away and screensaver comes on.
    I have ThinkPad T23(PIII 1.2, 1GB, S3 SuperSavage 16MB), Ubuntu 8.04LTS. Ubuntu installed w/o any problems, when was following your guide also didn't have any troubles. Set VLC as default player. In VLC I've changed only default keymappings and turned on deinterlacing by default. Maybe I don't pay enough attention, but cant find option about screensaver suppression. Any suggestions?
    I think that option is only in the Windows version of VLC, not sure why. I always disable the screensaver in System > Preferences > Screensaver, then just lock my screen when I'm away, as I like to keep an eye on my system when it's busy downloading and installing software and things like that.

Nathan

Beans

Is it the proprietary driver or the open driver you're using? Xvideo playback should work if you disable effects, x11 is no good for HQ video.

There will be new ATI drivers in 8.04.1, so if it's the proprietary driver you're using, Xv should work with effects by then. If you're using open drivers, report or confirm an existing bug at launchpad.com.

Nathan
    It's the proprietary driver I think (fglrx). Is it better to use the open driver (in terms of performance or features)?

I will try disabling effects to see if it works with "xv"

I tried to use mozilla-mplayer instead of gecko with the options you gave and it's the same behaviour (i.e. working almost everywhere but not on radio-canada.ca)

I'll ask the website (radio-canada.ca) which format they use

I'll also the RP work-around you suggest.

Thanks!

Beans

I've published a very easy method to complete multimedia support, on this website:
    http://ubuntutip.googlepages.com/multimediaubuntustep1

Hope this helps.

Greetz, Pjotr.

Beans

I think that option is only in the Windows version of VLC, not sure why. I always disable the screensaver in System > Preferences > Screensaver, then just lock my screen when I'm away, as I like to keep an eye on my system when it's busy downloading and installing software and things like that.

Nathan

Is there any other possible workarounds, w/o turning off screensaver?

Page 39 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast