Page 31 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

Thanks for the great How To! For me, it all works except when trying to watch the CBC "The National" http://www.cbc.ca/national/latestbroadcast.html. mplayer pops up, buffers, and then stops. BBC works fine, all US network news streams (flash, rp, wm etc.) work fine. Youtube works fine.

Unfortunately, it's the CBC I'd really like to watch. Ideas?

firefox versions 2 or 3 (doesn't seem to matter)
    Intel P4
    Hardy for Intel
    kubuntu (kde3)
    32 bit codecs installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by secretrat View Post
    Thanks for the great How To! For me, it all works except when trying to watch the CBC "The National" http://www.cbc.ca/national/latestbroadcast.html. mplayer pops up, buffers, and then stops. BBC works fine, all US network news streams (flash, rp, wm etc.) work fine. Youtube works fine.

Unfortunately, it's the CBC I'd really like to watch. Ideas?

firefox versions 2 or 3 (doesn't seem to matter)
    Intel P4
    Hardy for Intel
    kubuntu (kde3)
    32 bit codecs installed

Do you have MPlayerplug-in or Gecko Media Player installed? Did you press play and/or reload the page when it stopped?

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by instantkarma View Post
    To my chagrin it's only worked on explorer. I dont have epiphany - I'm using xubuntu. Should I download it and try loading that page on it? I've already tried loading that page on epiphany on a debian machine and I've gotten the same results. Why does it work on explorer and not firefox???

Basically once I log into my account I need to see a page like the one featured here: http://www.mercurygate.com/shipper_s...gle_place.html
    Again its a jsp page.

I have an idea. Some still say Java5 performs better:

sudo apt-get remove sun-java6-bin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin && sudo apt-get install sun-java5-bin sun-java5-fonts sun-java5-jre sun-java5-plugin

Then restart Firefox.

Nathan
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; May 20th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Do you have MPlayerplug-in or Gecko Media Player installed? Did you press play and/or reload the page when it stopped?

Nathan
    I had to revert back to mplayerplug-in since gecko crashed the ff session. Yep, clicked on Play several times --- same result. Reloading the page restores the image in the video window, but pressing play results in the same thing.

Beans
    Distro

I had to revert back to mplayerplug-in since gecko crashed the ff session. Yep, clicked on Play several times --- same result. Reloading the page restores the image in the video window, but pressing play results in the same thing.

It's a shame you can't use Gecko Media Player, as it plays cbc.ca streams without a hitch in Ubuntu. Try changing the "noembed=0" option to "1", then restart Firefox. The stream may work better when not embedded.

Nathan

Beans

It's a shame you can't use Gecko Media Player, as it plays cbc.ca streams without a hitch in Ubuntu. Try changing the "noembed=0" option to "1", then restart Firefox. The stream may work better when not embedded.

Nathan
    Did that too, but it brings up a question. /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf is present, but with all lines commented out. $HOME /.mplayer/ mplayerplug-in.conf is what I have been editing.

vo=x11
    ao=alsa
    cachesize=512
    cache-percent=50
    dload-dir=/home/ted
    showtime=1
    enable-wmp=1
    enable-qt=1
    enable-rm=1
    enable-gmp=1
    enable-dvx=1
    enable-mpeg=1
    enable-mp3=1
    enable-ogg=1
    enable-midi=1
    enable-pls=1
    enable-smil=1
    enable-helix=1
    nomediacache=0
    nopauseonhide=0
    rtsp-use-tcp=1
    rtsp-use-http=0
    showlogo=0
    black-background=1
    noembed=1

Should I be editing the file in /etc instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have an idea. Some still say Java5 performs better:

sudo apt-get remove sun-java6-bin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin && sudo apt-get install sun-java5-bin sun-java5-fonts sun-java5-jre sun-java5-plugin

Then restart Firefox.

Nathan
    I replaced java6 with java5 and - amazingly - it works. Actually in the beginning I got the regular 'please wait' display after the page loaded (and nothing else), got really frustrated and navigated to another page, and then I went back to the jsp page to take a screenshot of it to post it over here to make my problem as clear as possible and lo and behold the frames were displayed in all of their jsp glory.

I wonder if this would have happened had I left java6?

Thank you!!!

Now I'm off to find a solution for widget loading/display malfunctions on asp/aspx pages in firefox. maybe u have an idea?

Beans
    Distro

Should I be editing the file in /etc instead?

It doesn't matter. The one in home overrides the /etc one.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by instantkarma View Post
    I replaced java6 with java5 and - amazingly - it works. Actually in the beginning I got the regular 'please wait' display after the page loaded (and nothing else), got really frustrated and navigated to another page, and then I went back to the jsp page to take a screenshot of it to post it over here to make my problem as clear as possible and lo and behold the frames were displayed in all of their jsp glory.

I wonder if this would have happened had I left java6?

Thank you!!!

Now I'm off to find a solution for widget loading/display malfunctions on asp/aspx pages in firefox. maybe u have an idea?

Maybe it's worth testing java6 again.

Don't know how to help with your widget thing.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Excellent guide but how do I get audacious to show up in firefox preferences. I want it to be the default media player in firefox.

I also set it as the default in System > Preferences > Preferred Applications > Multimedia > Custom > audacious

Odd that is is not in that drop down list either. Lame!

Update: Edit > Preferences > Applications > MP3 ShoutCast Playlist > User Other > /usr/bin/audacious
    Last edited by war59312; May 21st, 2008 at 09:46 AM.

Page 31 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast