Page 123 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1784

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Quote Originally Posted by Schok View Post
    can someone help me? i was using this command:

sudo apt-get remove gnash gnash-common libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss faac faad flashplugin-nonfree libk3b2-extracodecs libmp3lame0 libtunepimp5-mp3 libxine1-ffmpeg non-free-codecs sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar

and after it has finished download everything, the java user agreement thingy came out, while i was going to accept it my kde desktop suddenly went to the login screen and everything was back like it just booted up..so i tried the command again and this came out:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

how do i continue what i was doing earlier?

Kubuntu 9.04 32-bit user
    hello, i'm still new at linux, so cmiiw but i think that's probably because synaptic or update manager still open, you have to close them first before you can install from apt-get

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lightbulb Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

I'd strongly recommend to update Gnome Mplayer to 0.9.5, it solved few annoying issues here ....

http://www.getdeb.net/download/4042/0 ( .deb )
    My favourite userbars: #1, #2, #3, #4
    Help me, pls!!!! Click here.

Beans
    Distro

So, no Acroread for the i386 users? Iḿ not finding it in any repo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well, here we go again. I too come back to this sticky after every new release but there is still something lacking. I have (2) favorite .wmv video clips that consistently refuse to provide thumbnails until I jump through hoops and download everything under the sun even remotely related to sound and video and finally, after many hours and days it begins to work. Problem is, by that time I haven't the foggiest idea what I've done to fix it.

Why is it that distros like LinuxMint work "out of the box" so to speak and the largest international Linux distro (read Ubuntu here) can't?

Sorry to rant but it is so darn frustrating. I always hope that a new release will finally come out that will work. Oh well, that's the fun? of Linux I guess. Think of all I'm learning, right?
    Registered Linux User #400396
    ... "Let me summarize the early days of software in one sentence: In the beginning, there was software, and it was free."

Beans
    Distro

why is it that when i add medibuntu to the apt repos it doesnt show up in the search function of synaptics...
    answer: xapian issues, so for whatever reason, i have to update-apt-xapian-index which works fine.

this should, at least, be included in the main topic page so that newbies dont panic on the notions of ~why doest skype not show up in my synaptics menu? dang linux sucks! yeah... lack of info suck...

this has been an issue for ever, however i've yet to see any mention of it in the first page.

i dont know if ubuntu updates it at some point, maybe it does... but it still is worth the mention.

cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Complete Multimedia & Video How-to

Wow, You really put a lot of time and effort into this, and it really helps a newbie. Thanks-
    ...Through the Fire and the flames we carry on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for this, it sorted a few things out for me.

A couple of problems though, Quicktime 7 locks system and gives a black screen (I used the changes to pluginreg.dat mentioned in the troubleshooting section). When I insert a DVD VLC media player crashes the system. In the VLC media player 'video' menu is empty.

I've switched off the desktop effects but that doesn't help and have worked through the troubleshooting section but none of the fixes work.

I have a feeling it may be the Intel 4 chip. I'm using Hardy on an Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz.

Any help appreciated.

Beans

I can't get the DVD playback to work on VLC. I followed the instructions on the first post to a T for Jaunty, but no luck. Please help.

P.S.: libdvdread3 is deprecated, and replaced by libdvdread4, so I installed the latter. Still no luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

didn't read all the thread, maybe it's been notified already... but in the DVD playback session, where the console command
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 libdvdread3 libdvdnav4 vlc
    is reported, I think it shoudl read instead
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 libdvdnav4 vlc
    edit: nevermind, previous poster notified it already... in my case it simply said "couldn't find libdvdread3" and stopped there, so I guessed it should've been 4 instead

one thing to note in jaunty is that libdvdread3 is now libdvdread4. i tried to find libdvdread3 in synaptic and it isnt there. libdvdread4, however is the same thing and i havent had any problems so far. this launchpad link should have something about this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...cs/+bug/354764

when i try to look it up the package details on the packages.ubuntu site, it states that the package isnt available. the link is here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libdvdread3

Page 123 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173 ... LastLast