Page 112 of 179 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1784

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Thumbs up Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Very, Very helpful...Thanks for taking the time to put this together! =D>
    **I setup a lil' bash script I can run when I do a clean install...makes things a lot easier!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Thanks to Ubuntu_freak for figuring all of this out and keeping it up to date. I went through the proceedure and had some weird things happening with youtube--the videos were jerky, and Firefox did not respond to my attempts to close it. I tried removing things I though were interfering, such as Noscript, but what finally worked was downgrading from the Nvidia 177 driver to the 173 version. I have an XFX 8200 GeForce motherboard with built-in video, and chose to install the 32-bit version of Ubuntu. Was it really the newer driver that was causing the problem, or is there something else I should be trying to fix?
    --
    mount_evans
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold,
    it would be a merrier world." --Thorin Oakenshield

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks

first off, brilliant howto, I have this in my permanently marked pages and is one of the first I come to when I do a fresh install... so as I keep "breaking" my system it is quite a regular occurance!

However you mention in the pre-amble

Please keep in mind, however, that Ubuntu has a helpful feature, where if you click on a certain file, or try to view Flash videos, a dialog should pop-up and ask if you want to install proprietary packages that are neccessary to play those formats.
    This never seems to work for me??

is this something to do with not running firefox with root permisions?? I guess if I did then any uploaded stuff will automatically put itself into the correct place..... but doesn't that have inherent sucurity issues with it??

anyway...

great howto... I look forward to using it when I finally go over to intrepid!

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Neo Tokyo Skies Prologue

A prologue release of the MMORPG Neo Tokyo skies...

Beans

Arrow Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Hello, don't know if this question was answered previously, was hard to go through all of the 112 pages.

Thanks, for your post, very helpfull.

I am a Kubuntu user, and i can pretty much play any type of sound, almost anywhere, but the only thing that doesn't work is ..Frostwire/Limewire can't play any sound. But when i play the same tracks anywhere else it works..

I have installed both java 6 and 5, because i program in Eclipse, and sometimes, i need some of the dev files in java5. Any clues for me?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kamssada View Post
    Hello, don't know if this question was answered previously, was hard to go through all of the 112 pages.

Thanks, for your post, very helpfull.

I am a Kubuntu user, and i can pretty much play any type of sound, almost anywhere, but the only thing that doesn't work is ..Frostwire/Limewire can't play any sound. But when i play the same tracks anywhere else it works..

I have installed both java 6 and 5, because i program in Eclipse, and sometimes, i need some of the dev files in java5. Any clues for me?
    I fixed my problem by going to the java site, and installing the latest update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by theDaveTheRave View Post
    is this something to do with not running firefox with root permisions?? I guess if I did then any uploaded stuff will automatically put itself into the correct place..... but doesn't that have inherent sucurity issues with it??
    Running Firefox as root sounds like a terrifying idea. Just think what you might pick up from the net and which would have free access to your system!
    2004 IBM desktop (2.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM)
    Blatant self-advertising: a restaurant, a band and a sort of Japan blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is the first How-to I do after every fresh install. Wonderful tutorial.

I've been having alsorts of sound issues which i've posted on other threads.
    I've now done a fresh Intrepid install and disabled PulseAudio and am using ALSA

VLC, Mplayer, movieplayer are all set to use the ALSA driver and play media files flawlessly.

Firefox on the other hand is a different issue. Whether I select Gecko or Mplayer in the plugin prefs to play flash videos (haven't tried other embedded media types yet but I guess they'll have the same problem) I get no sound whatsoever.

I hope FF doesn't have to use PA and can use ALSA?

Beans

Question Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Thanks for this wonderful resource. I had been a loyal KDE & Redhat user until 3 days ago, when I could not get Fedora 10 to install on an older motherboard with a SiS RAID chipset. Kinda ironic that I would start using ubuntu now as my first introduction to *nix was a debian cd that was in a EGM magazine back in the fall of 98.

ubuntu live cd came right up & all of these wonderful tutorials are a sight to behold. I have subscribed to 6 threads, yet this is my very first post!

One question. How does one discover if one installed the 32 or 64 bit version (8.1)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Welcome to Ubuntu and ubuntuforums, lovswr.
    The command
    Code:
    uname -m
    will show you if you have the 32-bit or 64-bit version installed:
    "i686" means 32-bit, "x86_64" means 64-bit.

Page 112 of 179 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast