Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipod can't be seen Banshee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ipod can't be seen Banshee

I have an old 4th Gen Ipod, i think, anyway, I installed Banshee for synaptic and it does not recognize the IPOD. IPod is recognized by Gutsy and Rhythmbox, but I want to try out Banshee.

Also, once Banshee recognizes the Ipod, how do stop Rhythmbox from opening whenever I attach the IPOD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ipod can't be seen Banshee

Ok, figured it out, apparently the 2 problems were interrelated. Banshee was not seeing my IPod because Rhythmbox was using it first. So to solve it, I fixed it so that IPod will run Banshee instead of Rhythmbox,

For those with similar noobie problems, the method is just to replace rhythmbox with banshee in System -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and Media -> Multimedia Tab -> Portable Music Players

Then that's it, whenever you attach your ipod it will run banshee and be detected by banshee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

In Hardy Heron, portable media was removed for the Removable Drives and Media, there is a similar option in Preferred Applications, don't know if this is the same but I know that this did not help detect my ipod in banshee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
    Update:

After trying Preferred Applications again, and choosing Custom and manually typing 'banshee', my IPod can be seen again by banshee. Somehow choosing Banshee from the dropdown list does not work.

Update:

Lost it again. It ran once, so at least I know that it was not banshee. Somehow Heron is messing it up and goes back to Rhythmbox. If only I know where to locate the actual configuration file it is messing with.
    Last edited by fhmanas; April 29th, 2008 at 04:12 PM.

Beans

I also had problems with Banshee recognizing my ipod after upgrading to Hardy. Based on a comment in this bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ee/+bug/139226 I installed podsleuth and now it seems to be working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thanks for pointing me to the right direction, i don't know if podsleuth had anything to do with it but the trick that worked was making all the users a member of haldaemon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tried all the methods above, non worked. My ipod was just insivible to banshee

But i found the solution...

Just Remove Rhythmbox!
    go to synaptics pacacke manager, and mark rhythmbox to completely uninstall, uninstall it, and thats it.
    now banshee can see my ipod just fine.

hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

thanks installing podsleuth helped out a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hope it could be useful

http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=69055592

I have faced with the same issue after upgrading to Karmic.

cheers

Beans

Hey, running 9.10 Karmic, with Banshee and a 5th Gen 30gb Ipod video.

Banshee was not recognizing the ipod, then I tried
    a) plug in ipod (so it automounts)
    b) start banshee
    c) right click the ipod icon on the desktop, and unmount (not eject or sfely remove)
    d) open nautilus and re-mount the ipod.

Voila. Banshee finds it, as does podsleuth. Podsleuth gives an error (Ipod found but is not known) but as long as banshee works, I don't care.

Oh - and I still have Rhythmbox installed, and Banshee will put OGG files on the Ipod. I tried the same fix, both with and without Rockbox installed. Banshee does not seem to know or care what firmware is installed.

Something about the automount seems to confuse Banshee and Podsleuth, so one must manually undo it and redo it.

I know I could turn off automounting, but this is not hard and I do want automounting for other media types.

-Arc
    Last edited by Arctother; January 19th, 2010 at 11:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast