Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

Thank you for this great walk-through!

I'd like to provide some info for those who may have odd Broadcom drivers.

I got wireless to work on a Dell Latitude D610 which has this driver: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g (rev 03)

As such, when I got to step to and was redirected to the wifi documentation page, I then followed step 2a on that page (here)

Good luck everyone!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the directions worked great for my dell xps m1210 with a Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)

thank you for all your hard work..

nutz

Beans

I have a BCM4306 card, ver 03. This post was extremely helpful for me. Here's how I got my card working.

After numerous failures, I finally reinstalled Heron, figuring I'd messed up my wireless settings beyond repair. Now, here are my steps:

Step 1: Install all updates via Update Manager (about 102 of those)

Step 2: DO NOT USE THE DRIVER IN system->Admin->Hardware!!!!!!

Step 3: Follow this post to the letter. During Mr. Kant's step two, I clicked the link under the red lettering, and followed step 2b (the general bcm4306 step. For every step, I literally copied and pasted the lines into my terminal.

Step 4: Don't forget to restart

Beans

Thanks, I have just been able to set up my WLAN on HP pavilion dv6225us and it seems to be working so well now.

RKS

Beans

Many thanks. My e-machines M6805, amd 64, hardy i386, broadcom 4306 (rev 03) is connected wirelessly as wlan0 using 2f for step 2.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

Thanks, finally got working a bcm4318 rev02 from a friends laptop with your howto. Thank you very much.
    Ángel Candelaria
    http://angelsguitar.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No success with bcm4306 on desktop computer

Computer is a pentium 4 at 3 gHz with 57.5 Gb of disk ( 55.4 free)

Wireless brand is 06:02.0 Network Controller Broadcom Corp bcm4306 802.11b/g rev (03)

Wireless chipset is 06:02.0 0280 : 14e4 4320 (rev 03)

ubuntu version 7.10

kernel 2.6.22-14-generic i686

no compile ndiswrapper

step 2f used

ndiswrapper -l gave
    bcwl5:driver installed
    device (14e4:4340) present (alternative driver bcm43xx)

at first iwconfig said no wlan0 but i changed /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to wlan0 instead of eht0

iwconfig then presented some data however the mode is 'managed' and looking at the various options in man i cannot find 'infrastructure' which is the mode i use in windows. (it works in windows)

also if i set the essid etc then it reverts to the intial setting on start up.

help !!! terry

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kirkcudbright View Post
    No success with bcm4306 on desktop computer

Computer is a pentium 4 at 3 gHz with 57.5 Gb of disk ( 55.4 free)

Wireless brand is 06:02.0 Network Controller Broadcom Corp bcm4306 802.11b/g rev (03)

Wireless chipset is 06:02.0 0280 : 14e4 4320 (rev 03)

ubuntu version 7.10

kernel 2.6.22-14-generic i686

no compile ndiswrapper

step 2f used

ndiswrapper -l gave
    bcwl5:driver installed
    device (14e4:4340) present (alternative driver bcm43xx)

at first iwconfig said no wlan0 but i changed /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to wlan0 instead of eht0

iwconfig then presented some data however the mode is 'managed' and looking at the various options in man i cannot find 'infrastructure' which is the mode i use in windows. (it works in windows)

also if i set the essid etc then it reverts to the intial setting on start up.

help !!! terry
    You might want to check and be sure that you updated eth1 to wlan0 instead of eth0 (unless you don't have a wired connection). Can you post your lshw -C network information? It will help see the driver and hardware information.

Beans

Hi

Ran through this step by step guide but with no joy. I am running -or at least attempting to- a broadcom 4306 rev 03 and followed through with step 2d as indicated. when I run lshw -C network the wireless card is listed under *-network:0 with driver driver=b43-pci-bridge, however after listing my 3Com card which is not connected to my router,

*-network DISABLED
    description wireless interface
    physical id: 3
    logical name: wlan0

I loaded the graphical wireless interface, this shows the installed driver bcmlw5 and hardware present yes

My blacklist file lists bcm43xx

What am I doing wrong?

ran rmmod b43 and b44, then ssb, now showing driver as ndiswrapper+bcml5 .... removed driver and reinstalled through the graphical interface and take me sideways with a spanner all seems to work... until rebooted.

Following reboot process of module removal has to be repeated. Can I blacklist b43, b44, and ssb?
    Last edited by tim_watson; May 29th, 2008 at 09:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok I got this to work for barely even a day and now my connection suddenly stopped working. I was using it last night and browsing the net fine, then i turned off my computer.

I was having problems logging into gnome, so i had to login to gnome safemode and i turned off all the desktop modifications i set earlier, and then i could log back into gnome.

now the network manager detects my network, but it wont associate

Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast