Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

Beans

Red face Re: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

I presume there are several methods within this that require an internet connection (which is quite hard for me, hence the desperation for the drivers).

I tried it, and got some errors, so I'll scavenge around for that old cable. Can someone just confirm this please.

(I get the error when trying to install cabextract - enabling the resporitries - refresh )
    Hardy Herron 8.04 - Dell Latitude C610 (pretty old laptop)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

Search for a post written by Jamie Jackson about installation of broadcom drivers in 5 minutes. He has links to all different types of drivers depending on your chipset. Its really useful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Alex,

Thanks for this post. I was installing Hardy via wireless with no wired connection and (of course) lost my internet connection during the installation (very frustrating). Fortunately this laptop had windows on it so I was able to piece it together and got it working with your instructions.

Oddly enough, after I got things working again I found similar notes in my old Gutsy installation memory joggers, but I forgot to look there first.
    Anyway, a suggestion that might help out real newbies: Either change step 5 to read:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/wirelessfix.sh &
    and/or remind them to save and close gedit before accomplishing step 7. Otherwise they will return to the original terminal window to enter the command but it will still be awaiting the closure of gedit before it will do anything else. I understand this is pretty basic stuff but I can imagine when I was new to ubuntu not really understanding all the basics and getting hung up here.

Thanks again for helping getting my broadcom working again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Wouldn't a script similar to the following be more appropriate (I need some other testers besides myself on this one!!)

Follow original instructions Steps 1-4 and then do the following (NOTE - I included a restart option in case the modules somehow needed to be reloaded after hibernation or any such behavior in which you might need to reload the modules -- Strange things have happened in the past -- would reload modules with
    sudo /etc/init.d/wireless-broadcom-ndiswrapper restart
    ):

gksu gedit /etc/init.d/wireless-broadcom-ndiswrapper &

#!/bin/bash

#wireless-broadcom-ndiswrapper - This script takes care of loading ndiswrapper
    #with broadcom chipsets to avoid the associated b44/ssb bug

case "$1" in
    start)
    # Unload conflicting modules
    echo "Unloading conflicting broadcom/ndiswrapper conflicting modules.."
    modules=`lsmod`
    echo $modules | grep -q b44 && rmmod b44
    echo $modules | grep -q b43 && rmmod b43
    echo $modules | grep -q b43legacy && rmmod b43legacy
    echo $modules | grep -q ssb && rmmod ssb
    echo $modules | grep -q ndiswrapper && rmmod ndiswrapper

echo "Loading ndiswrapper/Broadcom modules.."
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    modprobe b44
    ;;
    stop)
    # I dont believe there is anything to do here.

;;
    restart)
    # $0 stop
    $0 start
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Usage: wireless-broadcom-ndiswrapper {start|stop|restart}"
    exit 1
    esac

exit 0

Make file executable
    cd /etc/init.d && sudo chmod 755 wireless-broadcom-ndiswrapper

Add the script to the rc levels
    #To the best of my knowledge networking scripts are completed at runlevel 40
    #Default is runlevel 20
    #I need this script to be run after the wired/wireless modules have loaded in order
    #to reload the ndiswrapper kernel module prior to the ssb module
    #Unclear if script needs to be run in runlevel =1

sudo update-rc.d wireless-broadcom-ndiswrapper start 50 2 3 4 5 .

Restart your machine

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I followed the steps in the first post and now when I log on to the machine it seems to lock up. It looks like its trying to load something because there is a white square in the top corner of the screen, it is about 1/4 of the screen.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have followed the instructino in post one to no avail and have trid various others from threads during hardy development, all with no joy. I am really disappointed that 8.04 has lost what 7.10 had out of the box. I have re-installed Mint4.0 which has the same driver install gui as 8.04 at it works without a hitch. I think I'll wait for 8.10 for my next attempt.

Beans

Talking Re: Broadcom Wireless Setup for Hardy (Step by step)

THANKS FRIEND!!! REALLY THANKS !!! YUO'VE SOLVED MY PROBLEM WITH THIS STEP BY STEP GUIDE!!! YOU'RE GREAT !!! LONG LIFE TO YOU !! RESPECT!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

OK -- I´m apparently an idiot. Trying to install ndiswrapper either through a terminal or Synaptics calls for my Hardy installation CD. I provide it, press Enter. It asks again. I press Enter. And so forth.

I´m beginning to think Linux is an anger-management training tool.

Beans

At first I was using the kernel 2.6.22-16-generic kernel and performed your ndiswrapper steps and it was unsuccessful. It would not recognize a device.
    I then switched to the kernel 2.6.22-14-generic kernel and then it recognized the device and was able to connect to my network.

I have a 4318 Card (Asus WLan138v2) for reference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

THANK YOU!

I was SO sick of having to use my fallback wireless receiver that overheats and drops connection sporadically

I've tried multiple ndiswrapper install guides, but none of them worked until I found this one. Thanks again!!

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast