Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] HOWTO: Setting up a VNC to GDM connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Setting up a VNC to GDM connection

I believe I got it to work with vnc4server and vnc4viewer.

Beans

Could someone help med with this. I have managed VNC to work with XDMCP and KDM.
    But the problem is when i am logging out from the remote computer it shut down all application i have running in the remote computer.

Example: On my remote computer i will like to have Azureus open. But when i am logging out, or shutting down my client computer all the X application on the remote computer (server) also shuts down, how do prevent that.
    I will like to have them going until i manually shuts them down.

thx in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This didn't work for me....
    defaults
    {
    }
    service vnc1024 {
    disable = no
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = no
    user = nobody
    server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
    server_args = -inetd :1 -broadcast -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc -securitytypes=none
    }
    But this did...
    defaults
    {
    }
    service vnc1024
    {
    disable = no
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = no
    user = nobody
    server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
    server_args = -inetd :1 -broadcast -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc -securitytypes=none
    }
    But what would happen when lets sya the computer I am on suddenly gets disconected... do I lose what ever data I was working with... or is there a way to restore that session again?
    In addition... is there a way to set up an acount that can access all my files as if it were the original user... but it is special in the fact it has lower detail, less colors, and no background or sounds? So that I can havea special account just to remote in and control my system?

In addition... how do I set up a firewall to allow these connections?
    Last edited by encompass; January 24th, 2006 at 02:59 AM.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans

^^^ I completely understadnd what you need because that's what I also need. To be able to use a VNC client to log in to GDM and keep the session going even after disconnecting the VNC client. The session should only end if you explicitly log out.

Fortunately I know exactly how to do this, and in fact I've done it with my machine and it works great. The setup is a little different than what is stated in this thread, or for that matter any other thread I saw here.

I will post a detailed howto shorty, so stay tuned......

Beans

oops double post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can a VNC connection be set up when the server box is on a wireless network? My ubuntu box is on the wireless network at work and I have gotten its IP from email headers (I know that this changes each time I log in to the network). But assuming I log in, know my IP - should I be able to access the VNC server box from my winxp box which is connected to the network.

I have followed the howto here and not had any luck - I just get "Failed to connect to server". So I am wondering whether this is pointless.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ignore that last post - I managed to get it going - I thought that firestarter firewall was not running but in fact it was - once I shut it down the connection worked just great. It is actually really awesome that I can control the linux box from home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Arrow Re: HOWTO: Setting up a VNC to GDM connection

Quote Originally Posted by arnieboy
    It might be a problem with your firewall settings. try and install firestarter and make sure port 5901 is open.
    I have done so... opened the port and still can't connect... I have to take the firewall totally down then it will connect. Even with a loopback to the same computer. Weird huh?
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Setting up a VNC to GDM connection

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbrit
    ignore that last post - I managed to get it going - I thought that firestarter firewall was not running but in fact it was - once I shut it down the connection worked just great. It is actually really awesome that I can control the linux box from home.
    BUT that is VERY insecure... I would recommend seting up your firewall... I am trying to do that here... but to no avail.

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Setting up a VNC to GDM connection

Hi,

I am a bit confused. Probably this has been discussed but I can not find it in the original how-to. Suppose machine A is a home laptop behind a router with firewall, running breezy with gdm. There is another machine B outside this network. I would like to access machine A from machine B using vncviewer. The ISP provides a dynamic IP address to machine A. I have already got a name for machine A from dyndns.org and ddclient keeps it updating for IP address change, if any.

So, what should I do? Should I open a port in the router's firewall and forward those ports to LAN Ip of machine A? If so, shouldn't it be mentioned in xinetd.conf? What command should I issue from machine B? Is it : vncviewer myservername:1?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast