Thread: is mounting a root.disk file a good way to convert a wubi install to a regular one?

Threaded View

Beans

Question is mounting a root.disk file a good way to convert a wubi install to a regular one?

Hi forum friends, (first post)
    Ok, so i've been using a wubi install of ubuntu 8.04 for a while and decided i wanted to convert to a full install so i could use the hibernate function and get maximum speed out of it but since there is no standard method given for doing this conversion i came up with an idea that i wanted to run by some of you who actually know what you're doing with linux.

i had my wubi installed on my D:\ which is really just a partition on my hard drive. I want to dualboot with windows XP which is on the C:\ so i copied the root.disk file to my C:\ and i'm hoping that once i get Ubuntu installed on the D:\ partition that i could mount the root.disk file from within Ubuntu and just copy all the files and folders in root.disk onto my Ubuntu install so that i would have all the same system settings, software, windows themes, etc.

My questions are these:

• Does my method make any sense?

• how do you mount the root.disk file? i know that the command is something like this:

mount -o loop

/host/path/to/home.disk.

old /new/mountpoint
    but i don't know what a real mountpoint would look like or where i should place it. so instead of "/new/mountpoint" what should i write?

• am i correct to assume all my settings and software are contained in this root.disk file? i'm not worried about the stuff in my home folder.

• If i follow this method are there any specific folders i should definitely NOT copy over into the new install? it seems to me that there might be some system settings particular to a wubi install that would corrupt a normal install? (boot folder perhaps)

If anybody has a different method for transferring my settings, software, key-bindings, and skins as they are please suggest them. I am very new to linux and though i understand more than most people i understand less than most of the people on these forums so please excuse my ignorance of how terminal commands work. I would be very much appreciative of any help any of you could give me.

thanks.
    Last edited by amirman; April 25th, 2008 at 10:16 AM.

"No is implies an ought" - David Hume