Thread: Opinions on need for firewall

Beans

Opinions on need for firewall

Hi,

I have a virtual server hosted at my ISP with Gutsy running and I have installed a web server and access the server using ssh.

The only ports that are shown to be active when using nmap are 80 and 22.

At the moment I don't intend to activate any other ports, so my question is would adding a firewall, or activating IPTables, be redundant or not?

Thanks.
    Chris

Disclaimer : Yes I am a noob.

Re: Opinions on need for firewall

I guess it would be useful if you want to restrict who can try ssh logins. Plus, having something like shorewall set up your iptables rules makes things dead simple, so why not?
    Also, see the forum sticky which has some opinions on this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765421

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbrat View Post
    Hi,

I have a virtual server hosted at my ISP with Gutsy running and I have installed a web server and access the server using ssh.

The only ports that are shown to be active when using nmap are 80 and 22.

At the moment I don't intend to activate any other ports, so my question is would adding a firewall, or activating IPTables, be redundant or not?

Thanks.
    Chris

Disclaimer : Yes I am a noob.

Using a firewall seems pointless to me. If you feel it necessary to restrict access via ssh it can be done with /etc/hosts.allow. For example, if you only ever login to the server from one location the lines

Code:
    sshd: 158.152.1.59: ALLOW
    sshd: ALL: DENY
    in /etc/hosts.allow are sufficient to deny ssh access from anywhere but 158.152.1.59.

If required, you could do something similar for the web server or use its configuration file.
    Brian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

well, if you want to operate a server then a firewall should not block that, right? So no point for a firewall...

I'd rather use something like hostsdeny that will update the hosts.deny file dynamically if there are too many login attempts from one IP in too short time frame.

With the setup as above you will always require that one IP address to actually ssh into the server. So if the IP addresses changes, you can't ssh in any longer.