Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Visual Effects affect the windows

Beans

Re: Visual Effects affect the windows

Dude you rock.

That worked, thanks so much!

And thanks to everyone else for bearing with me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Make sure that the command for the Window Decoration in Compiz is set to "emerald --replace", otherwise it might use Metacity upon startup.
    The best in life is free

Beans

Oh damn, it seems like before, everything works properly (I even used Emerald to change the theme and it worked) I had the visual effects and everything was working smoothly, until I decided to try and see if it worked after a restart.

It doesn't, back to the same problem - no visual effects when I log in and loss of window borders when I start compiz. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to do the previous solution everytime I restart the computer so I can have the visual effects?!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ub1476 View Post
    Make sure that the command for the Window Decoration in Compiz is set to "emerald --replace", otherwise it might use Metacity upon startup.
    Could that be the problem?
    How do I change it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Znort_Ubern00b View Post
    it is default windows manager.

type
    metacity --replace

in terminal then type that text then:

compiz --replace
    you should then see then window borders
    I typed these two lines and everything works smoothly again.

How do I go about making sure it remains that way, after I close/restart the computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

try changing the first command to
    emerald --replace instead of metacity --replace

see if that works.
    Znort
    Nothing is as certain as - Death and Taxes

Beans

Okay, that works, and it restores my emerald installed theme. It also starts compiz with default settings (no desktop cube, but desktop wall).

The issue I'm now addressing is, that upon restart, it never keeps my configuration. It just boots into Ubuntu without any visual effects and I have to manually type those 2 commands you gave me to get them back.

I also changed the command in the compizconfig settings manager -> Window decoration, from /usr/bin/compiz-decorator to emerald --replace

like another member suggested, I think
    But still, upon restart, I get regular desktop with no visual effects and have to start them manually.

Any ideas?

Beans

When I shutdown/restart, I also revert back to just 2 Desks instead of the 4 I chose.

Having to go emerald --replace and compiz --replace after restart is annoying at best, because then I have to check/uncheck on compizconfig the effects I want/don't want.

Any suggestions on how I can make the system remember my desktop configuration? It's a strange situation...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

the emerald --replace will use emerald as your default desktop setting.try changing that back and see what happens.

if not then,to start up with compiz as default you have a few choices.
    1) write a bash script to start compiz on login. Unfortunatly I know nothing about bash scripts, someone else may be able to help you on this one.
    2)Look for the compiz fusion manager(not ccsm, i will look for actual name when i get home)this puts an icon next to system clock and I think allows you to change the default manager. so when you log in it uses compiz by deefault.

or you could just create a launcher on your desktop that you just need to click when you log in to start compiz.
    Sorry i can't be of more help, am fairly new to all this and learning as I go.
    Znort
    Nothing is as certain as - Death and Taxes

Beans

thank you, you've actually been very helpful.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast